Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wiring a phase perfect. Internet don’t loose your poop on me.

It’s good you don’t know Blues Traveler. That means you don’t have horrible taste in music.

Took the belt off it makes the hiss as it motor slows. Also makes it when running. Looks like I’ll be dropping the motor and replacing the bearings

Not the worst thing in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    It could simply be the belt or the motor fan making noise.
    Run it without the belt and see what it sounds like.

Not sure what a blues traveler is.

What Frank said ,you never run the ground wire through a switch contact. That lug in the bottom part of your disconnect is where the ground wires are supposed to be connected. what you have now is an ungrounded metal box with live wires in it. if one of them were to accidentally come in contact with with the metal someone could a very nasty electric shock, at the very least.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to have an electrician look it over after you are done even if it works

I’m and was aware of the ground rod. My first inclination was to use it. But with space for only one wire I was at a lose.

I did not understand that grounding it the way I did left it ungrounded though so thanks for making that clear.

I have since replace the grounding bar with one with multiple spaces and I am grounded all the way from my sub panels ground bar to the knife shutoff, to the phase converter, to the three phase panel and all at the grounding bar.

I do have a electrician on the books to come check over my work if nothing else. He is a couple weeks out minimum at this point but he is gonna come take a look.

Patrick,
    Another thing to keep in mind: the capacitors in the Phase Perfect will hold a charge for a little while after the unit is disconnected from power. If you need to work on it for any reason be sure to wait till they've had a chance to discharge.
    Also, your Phase Perfect is an older model, just like mine, and as such I would replace the line capacitors now. They recommend replacement every three years.
    I had some expensive issues with mine which might have come from a bad line cap!

Jeff,

I’m not sure if it was you that suggested replacement before I purchased it or not. But I didn’t forget although it’s somehow on the bottom of my list. Sounds like I should put it at the top and order them tomorrow.

The other day at work I actually did that same thing when pulling my powerfeeder apart.

Lucky for me that way only 120 single phase and coming from a residential construction background it sure ain’t the first time I got zapped.

Short funny story.

So I’m like 13-14 years old and little skateboard punk kid. Me and my best friend decided we are gonna give ourself India ink tattoos. We are sitting side by side on my bedroom floor both tattooing our a wee little thing on our thighs where our parents won’t ever see it “so we thought” for whatever reason there was a cord hanging out of the wall plug on one end then cut and toe live wires out the other. Don’t ask why it was like 30 years ago. So my buddy out of nowhere grabs the cord and shoves it against my thighs. At the time I was like wtf but looking back I laugh and think what a funny bastard he was.

Anyway this ain’t not 120v so non of that nonsense..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Patrick,
    Another thing to keep in mind: the capacitors in the Phase Perfect will hold a charge for a little while after the unit is disconnected from power. If you need to work on it for any reason be sure to wait till they've had a chance to discharge.
    Also, your Phase Perfect is an older model, just like mine, and as such I would replace the line capacitors now. They recommend replacement every three years.
    I had some expensive issues with mine which might have come from a bad line cap!