Page 233 of 238 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,495 of 3565

Thread: Time for some levity

Blog Entries
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Lots of good ones in there, Jim
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

My wife has the shirt... Irony, the opposite of Wrinkly.
    BILL D

Thursday's mish mash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Reading the cereal box while eating breakfast....that brings back memories.
    I was always a "reader" from about age 5.
    When I finished with the back of the box (always good stuff on the back) I would turn it to the sides and read those.
    I learned a lot about nutrition (like all the sugar in Alpha-Bits) and some really big, chemical sounding words in the ingredients...Also things like "Net-weight".
    When I finished with the back and sides, I 'd go to the front and study the picture in detail... that's not really "reading" but it was still kind of interesting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Reading the cereal box while eating breakfast....that brings back memories.
    If you didn't read the back you didn't know how many box tops you needed to save for the special toy you could get. Like the gray plastic submarines that ran on baking powder. The would dive, sit on the bottom for a bit and then they would rise to the surface, where the bubble would release and they would sink again.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Oh, you had one too

Lee, I had one of those subs too. So cool. I built a battleship once but only had Elmers white glue. One day when the seas got rough in the bathtub the ship slowly sank and the parts slowly came apart as it neared the bottom. Not a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If you didn't read the back you didn't know how many box tops you needed to save for the special toy you could get. Like the gray plastic submarines that ran on baking powder. The would dive, sit on the bottom for a bit and then they would rise to the surface, where the bubble would release and they would sink again.
    Was that the early impetus for prompting you to eventually join the Navy? A baking-powder powered sub?

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Was that the early impetus for prompting you to eventually join the Navy? A baking-powder powered sub?
    I had one of those baking powder powered submarines . Can’t remember now if I bought it with change and box tops
    or if it was free in the cereal box. The sub was , sub-par, but the commercial showing the sub was well done !

I had a baking soda and vinegar powered rocket probably 60 years ago. Don't think it came from a cereal box, but was probably advertised there or in a comic book. It worked amazingly well for about 2-3 flights until it pretty much blew up. Perhaps because young me might have thought more baking soda was a good idea????
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I am going to spend the weekend shopping for tools and gizmos for things I already have or think I need. I will then stow them away nevermore to be seen let alone recall buying them.

My brother had the chemistry set with a red plastic volcano. Put baking soda and vinegar in the crater and plug in the white snow capped peak and wait for it to fly and hit your eye.
    After that he could run his submarine that shot missiles straight up just high enough to hit your eyes if you leaned over for a closer look. You would lean over to see the blinking red light inside the nuclear reactor
    BillD.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-15-2024 at 11:16 PM.

Four for Friday
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (117.7 KB, 70 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (67.0 KB, 67 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (198.4 KB, 64 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (115.1 KB, 60 views)
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Sunday Sillies.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH