Page 227 of 238 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 3565

Thread: Time for some levity

Blog Entries
    The coldest ever recorded was -23˚ in 1933.
    There are also situations where the official reading is in one place, such as at the city center, and where someone was outside of or at the edge of a city having a different temperature due to local topography.

It wasn't until recently that every zip code has groups of people with weather stations being recorded daily.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post

This is probably one of the funniest, if not the funniest post (courtesy of Jim Allen) I've ever seen. Pretty clever too.
    It reminds me of the old question and answer when a college student was asked what are they "taking up" in college.

The fun answer was "time & space."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries

Sunday is silly day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I think the weather there has gotten more extreme in your memory. According to weather data, the most annual snowfall ever was 269" in 1972, with average about 119". Average low temps in January (coldest month) at 19˚. The coldest ever recorded was -23˚ in 1933.
    That record might be for Oswego county, my memory of the temperatures and snow fall for the town area is accurate. I did some research and the numbers for the county and the town are quite different. The town of Oswego is just a couple of blocks away from the shoreline of lake Ontario and the power plant is right on the lake shore. A 19 degree temperature would not make a memory, it was 18 degrees here in Gloucester County two days ago. We had to winterize our cars in early winter replacing the fluids in the engine, transmission and rear ends to prep for the Winter temperatures. I was told not to ever drive my vehicles south past Syracuse unless I reversed the winter prep, driving below the "White Line" was not recommended.

Link to Article
    New York State’s record for a single snowstorm buried Oswego under 102” of snow between January 27-31, 1966 (the same lake-effect event that resulted in Syracuse’s greatest 4-day total of 44.6”). Oswego has a long history of extraordinary snowfalls including one in February 1856 that buried the town with four to ten feet of snow with drifts as deep as thirty feet according to local reports (see David Ludlum’s Early American Winters: 1821-1870 page 226-227 for more about this amazing event).

I grew up just over the hill (the Tug Hill Plateau) from Oswego, I have family in that area still. I grew up just North of Boonville NY, the last year I lived there was 1976, Boonville received 346 inches that year. It was not uncommon then to get 4 foot over night snowfalls. In 2007 Redfield (not far from Oswego) got over 11 feet (141") in less than 9 days, beating the 1966 record. Lake effect snow fall is real. They certainly have not had those types of snow in recent years.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...ago-this-month
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

My sister was at SUNY Oswego during the '66 blizzard. Dorms were snowed in for nearly a week. We were living in Alaska with hardly any snow.
    Oswego.jpg

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

I remember back years ago it snowed so bad my Grandad had to dig down in two feet of snow to grease the wind mill.

As a kid growing up in the San Francisco bay area we made a snowman with some tires stacked on top of each other with a basketball for a head. Covered in a white sheet I thought it was COOL!
    My wife in Southern California used tumble weeds painted white.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-23-2024 at 12:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    I visit this webcam in NH every day to keep an eye on the snowfall there. They are way behind the norm so far. I will look around for a webcam in Oswego or Buffalo.

Best Regards, Maurice

In Boston during the blizzard of 1978, outside of my dorm someone committed what I consider the perfect crime. All of the parking meters were deeply buried under snow. Weeks later when the snow melted, it was discovered that dozens of parking meters had their heads stolen.

Must have been interesting for a bank teller when someone tried to deposit hundreds and hundreds of nickels. Plus, we didn't have to pay for parking for quite some time.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thanks Dan for the link, it brought back many memories living in Oswego in the early eighties. The white line was in Fulton County, in those days we never saw the ground after the first snowfall until late Spring.
    At Nine Mile Point power station all of the buildings had color coded ropes that ran from building to building. When you left one building headed for another you grabbed the colored rope indicated on the door map and did hand over hand to get where you needed to go during a storm, especially at night. You could easily get lost just three feet from the rope, it was a dangerous situation. In the the Spring they would find pets and sometimes people frozen during storms that were buried in huge snow banks.

I remember one particular "Super Storm" that was on Super Bowl Sunday, the temps dropped to 50 below F and the snow fell continuously for hours, my wife and I were stranded overnight at my supervisor's house just three blocks from our apartment. The weather was insane, in fact unbelievable for a southern boy. I made a mistake and parked my Jeep with the front end toward the north and the snow packed inside the engine compartment, it took a long time to clear the snow before we could start the engine. Another lesson...you never park under a power line as the huge ice sickles could break off and drop right through you car roof. We had special Winter windshield wiper blades that had rubber boots connecting the wiper to the blade so it would flop when the wiper cycled and break off the ice. Sorry for rambling on, just remembering a very crazy couple of years in my past construction project days. I could write a book about my time in Oswego, it was a crazy place to be in Winter.

One of my nieces did her undergraduate at SUNY Oswego which is literally right on the lake. They had one student die after becoming disoriented walking between 2 buildings during a blizzard. She was found the next day only 50 feet from her dorm. Same niece did her Pharmacy PHD at University of Buffalo. Not a big deal for a girl who grew up outside of Rochester NY and had never experienced a winter without snow.

I grew up outside of Rochester in the town of Penfield. In the blizzard of 1956, I could walk from a bare spot on our front lawn right up a snow drift and onto our roof. Western NY was paralyzed by the blizzard and the Air National Guard was dropping bales of hay to cattle in the fields from Flying Boxcar aircraft. It was really strange to watch. Just before winter Dad bought my Mom her own car which had to be parked in the drive since we only had a one car garage. She had left the driver's window open a slight crack and forgot to close it. When the storm ended Dad and I had to carefully shovel the snow out of the inside which was filled right up to the roof liner. The final work was done with an extension cord and an electric hair dryer.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 01-23-2024 at 3:11 PM.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Tuesday funnies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH