Thread: Youthful Adventures

Youthful Adventures

I still have that little scar from my first jackknife

Fortunately reaching up to touch that pretty red coil on the stove left no scar

However, the screwdrivers I stuck into the wall socket were not so lucky

My first router took a little nip out of me as it coasted to a stop

Really, nobody wants to admit anything?

You know how neat it was to drip wax on your hand then peel it off?

I learned the hard way that doing that with a piece of burning plastic isn't the same.

60 some years later I still have the little scar on the web of my hand.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Should it not read `youthful misadventures.' Too many to list....my body is a road map of scars. I have 6 recesses from holes where screws held a set of tongs, then a halo brace for a C1 C2 cervical break in my skull. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Funny how age has a way of covering scars. The only scars of mine left by knives are from a Doctor's knife.

I had a knife scar I can no longer find from when I was 3 or 4. It was a knife one of my brothers was holding. Had a scar from getting jabbed in the arm by a pitchfork when about 16.

A few scars from getting hit by a truck in my early 20s.

My oldest, still visible, scar is from getting cut on some broken glass at about 9.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Red face

No visible scarring from it, but my shoulders have some internal damage from hard landings in a hang glider back in the '70's. Scalding burn scars from an antifreeze mishap with my '68 Chevelle SS396 15 years ago. If I ever go bald my head will look like a road map. And my left pointer finger is a little shorter from table saw blade contact.
    BillL

The only stitches I had until surgery a few years ago were 4 stitches in my right thumb. I was pretty good at flipping a sheath knife in the air and catching it by the handle after 1 1/2 turns. Not so good after 2 1/2 turns, inside a college dorm room under an 8-foot ceiling. The fact that it was the day before a Math final had other consequences.

Ironically. last year and over 60 years later I got my only other non-surgical stitches. 12 of them in the other thumb. I was using a machete to strip limbs off a downed tree and the thumb got in the way. Don't know why I still have the thumb. You don't have to be young to do something stupid.

forehead scar from sledding into a pile of bricks. I thought closing my eyes while going downhill would be fun.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Last night I was playing the scar game with my 8 yr old Grandson. Well this one was from this and this one from that. Over my Rt eye I said, this one was when about 100 of us were skinny dipping in the Ithaca gorges and the cops came to bust us, and get a glimpse. I had a couple corner me and dove to get away. To shallow and I busted my head. Got away and fortunately I was driving a ‘54 Packard Ambulance to drive myself to the hospital. The scar game can be fun, humbling and embarrassing too.

Blog Entries
    My sister and I have matching Frankenstein scars on the top of our right foot. She got hers at 9:00 am one Saturday morning when she dropped her OJ glass which broke as it glanced off of the counter. It cut her leg and then stuck into her foot. 14 stitches. Later the same day I crashed my bicycle into a chainlink fence and slid my bare foot under the twisty, pointy, wires. 14 stitches. That was my first (but not last) ride in Police car. I am surprised Mom did not receive a visit from DFS.

As a kid, I found a large hook in the shed. I tied a rope to it and then thought I would hoist myself up by running the rope over a tree branch, standing on the hook, and pulling on the far end.

It went well at first, but then I flipped and landed on my head. No scars, memorable lesson in physics.

I peeled my finger once, while peeling a carrot.

I had a Monkey Ward's bicycle with a banana seat and "Mickey Mouse" handlebars. My brother and I used to make jumps and play Evel Knievel. We would also ride our bikes off the loading ramps at the local Alpha Beta grocery store.

Not surprisingly, the lower part of my bicycle frame broke away from the gooseneck. My uncle owned a welding shop and he welded it back together. I was good to go.

Then one day I was turning around in a neighbor's driveway, which happened to be very old asphalt with lots of tiny gravel, and the front forks broke off just below the gooseneck. I went down and the tops of my wrists scraped the asphalt. I was around 11 at the time and those scars were visible into my 20s. Of course, I banged my head pretty good on the asphalt as well, but surprisingly I didn't cut my scalp open.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; Yesterday at 3:11 PM.

Bike looked like this, but mine was blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Bike looked like this, but mine was blue.
    Screen Shot 2024-05-21 at 2.19.34 PM.png

Classic! I like to rewatch the opening scene for On Any Sunday from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Screen Shot 2024-05-21 at 2.19.34 PM.png

Classic! I like to rewatch the opening scene for On Any Sunday from time to time.

Saw that movie at the drive-in with my family. My dad was a desert racer in SoCal back then and he was familiar with some of the people in the movie. I remember seeing Malcom Smith's motorcycle shop from the freeway. Dad was also in a few races with Steve McQueen. He never used his real name, but everybody knew it was him.