Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plain and simple...

1. Plain and simple...

I found a small piece of soft, very pithy - almost rotten - chunk of Apple in the wood/scrap pile. I picked up a Sorby Swan Neck hollowing tool last weekend, so thought I'd try it out on this chunk. Stuff cut like butter, which is a good thing for me. This is my first finished HF. It's small, plain and simple. The form was not that important to me as I just wanted to see if I could get it done and get the wall thickness to anywhere close to consistent. I have a ways to go and a lot to learn, but it'll do for a first.

Gonna sign it and give it to my wife. I'm sure she'll be thrilled....

3-1/2" tall... 4-3/4" wide... wall thickness somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/8"

As always, any constructive feedback is welcome...

Would that be the small Sorby swan-neck hollowing tool? I bought one last week, too...the local dealer didn't have the heavy square scraper I wanted, but this "other tool" caught my eye and went home with me.

This is a nice form and a great way to preserve that hunk o' apple. Good deal!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

3. Jim, this was the bigger one (24"). I was up at Grizzly last weekend and picked it up there. They had the smaller one, as well as the HollowMaster (which I think I should have gotten instead). But on this soft wood it worked just fine for me.

I roughed out a small Hackberry about like this Apple one day this week and it took me FOREVER to get it hollowed out - and I didn't get it as thin as I wanted. I think I'm either going to have to (a) get another tool that cuts more agressively, (b) find a different tip for this one that cuts more aggresively, or (c) figger out what I'm doing wrong with what I have now...

Thanks,
    Mark

I sent my big one to Kevin awhile back...I really prefer a captive setup for larger things. The little one, however, will likely see a bit of action on some small and mid-sized things if I ever get to use the shop for something other than wrapping Christmas presents!

As to the tip...you can always make/buy more and customize them. Be sure you are sharpening/honing them on the top frequently...it's a scraper. Since you have the larger too, there is a "pointy" tip that is much more agressive than the rounded one.
    --

5. Thanks for the info, Jim. I assume I can order the pointy tip (or any others that go w/ this tool) from Sorby?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren
    ..... I just wanted to see if I could get it done....
    Mark - You got it done and done got your don'n good doins done dood!
    Only the Blue Roads

7. Andy, you'll have to try that for me again - - - in English this time...

Good one Mark. That wood's a treasure.

I have that little tiny swan neck Sorby. Once I got used to it... not bad.

Ernie

Andy, you'll have to try that for me again - - - in English this time...
    Sorry, I was trying to relate to you in your native tongue and messed up on the spelling, syntax, grammar, and iambic pentameter.

I said - Mark - You got it done and done got your don'n good doins done dood!

I meant to say - You got it done and done got your done'n good doins done good, dude!

I do hope this clarifies the matter.
    Only the Blue Roads

Nice job Mark, that's a keeper...
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Thanks for the info, Jim. I assume I can order the pointy tip (or any others that go w/ this tool) from Sorby?
    Your local Woodcraft, if they don't stock them, should be able to help you out. But you can also just buy some cutter stock from MCS, Enco, or whomever, and make up some of your own. 'Just takes a little careful grinding and is really cheap.
    --

12. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    ...iambic pentameter...
    What did he call me?

Awesome Mark! Looks great buddy, apple is some nice wood to turn and you done this piece proud.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

With the way you described the condition of the wood, I expected something less elegant Mark. This is a very nice form! Everything about it is pleasing. Your wife will love it. Nice!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Mark-
    That is just too cool! I love that wood and the shape you've given it. Last I recall, you turn on a Jet mini, right? That is outstanding especially given it's your first finished HF!

Here's a question for the panel: Do you apply finish to the interior of a HF?
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers