Thread: Help on H.F. Compressor Auto Drain Valve

Help on H.F. Compressor Auto Drain Valve

Marry Christmas to all!!!

Hopefully I can install my new IR 60gal compressor next week but need to rig up an auto drain valve system first. I was looking at HF's version at their store today but for the life of me I cannot clearly see how this one works. I looked at their instruction sheet but that was as far as it goes. I hope one of you guys has one installed and can help me. First, it appears that it operates via a pressure differential, I see where it is connected to the tank but the other side of the valve is connected to something and I would like to know what it is. Also, there is a connection on the side of the valve and I assume that is where the drain pipe gets connected. Essentially I would just like to have any accumulated moisture purged when I start my compressor thusly, I really don't need a timer valve system which is very expensive >$120. I am assuming that moisture filters will catch most of any moisture created when the compressor is running.

If anyone is familar with this valve, I'd like some advice and help.

Mike

Mike, you really don't want any accumulated moisture in the tank "ever" if at all possible, so I'd be concerned about waiting until you start the compresor to purge. You can find the timer versions on EBAY, often for about $70 (I got mine that way and it's an IR product) and they are far simpler to install than the HFT unit...they insert into 1/4" pipe you run from the port on the bottom of the unit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Deschler
    Marry Christmas to all!!!

Hopefully I can install my new IR 60gal compressor next week but need to rig up an auto drain valve system first. I was looking at HF's version at their store today but for the life of me I cannot clearly see how this one works. I looked at their instruction sheet but that was as far as it goes. I hope one of you guys has one installed and can help me. First, it appears that it operates via a pressure differential, I see where it is connected to the tank but the other side of the valve is connected to something and I would like to know what it is...
    Mike

The connection you're questioning on the HF valve is a small (~1/8") tube that tees into the line that runs from your compressor output to the pressure switch. The way it works is that, each time the compressor shuts off, the valve opens for maybe half a second, purging the moisture.

<B>I tried two of the HF valves, and both failed within a month.</B> I ended up with the IR electric valve, which operates on a timer. - paid about $45.00 for mine on Ebay, about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    The connection you're questioning on the HF valve is a small (~1/8") tube that tees into the line that runs from your compressor output to the pressure switch. The way it works is that, each time the compressor shuts off, the valve opens for maybe half a second, purging the moisture.

I tried two of the HF valves, and both failed within a month. I ended up with the IR electric valve, which operates on a timer. - paid about $45.00 for mine on Ebay, about a year ago.
    Thanks a bunch Jim, thats the info I was looking for. I was also afraid of HF's unit just because it is HF if you know what I mean. I have been scouting E-Bay for a while but have not seen any IR valves. I did find a source for a new one and it would run I think $122 plus $12 shipping (rip off) I will probably go this way.

Mike

Hello to everyone. I 've been reading for a while, and just joined this forum.
    I have one of the "HF" drains on my compressor. I've had it for a couple of years now, and luckly it has worked flawlessly. HF stuff seems to be a hit and miss proposition.
    The valve works off of the unloader line. when the pressure drains off of the compressor head it gives a signal to the valve to open and close, draining a shot of water.
    If any of you-all get one, replace the plastic tubing and fittings with copper. Here's a couple of photos of my setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a link that is real good in explaining the installation, lots of pictures. I used his web site when I installed mine.

http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/compressor/
    Floyd in Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davenport
    If any of you-all get one, replace the plastic tubing and fittings with copper. Here's a couple of photos of my setup.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've got one boxed up, waiting to be installed when I set up the compressor.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I have one of the "HF" drains on my compressor. I've had it for a couple of years now, and luckly it has worked flawlessly. HF stuff seems to be a hit and miss proposition.
    The valve works off of the unloader line. when the pressure drains off of the compressor head it gives a signal to the valve to open and close, draining a shot of water.
    Jim,
    Welcome to SMC, good folks here. Is that an engine lathe in the background?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

? Pancake

Hi everyone

Funny thing, I was draining my little pancake compressor today and thought about these things and then saw this post. Anyone ever install one on a small unit? Yeah, I know they are small so I should just be able to do it but I have to admit that I forget to open the valve sometimes.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Jim,
    Welcome to SMC, good folks here. Is that an engine lathe in the background?
    I don't mean to "Hi-jack" this thread, but thank you for the welcome.
    And yes that's an old (1940's vintage) South bend 13" lathe.
    Back to the thread!
    If you get the HF auto drain, you really need to replace the plastic tubing with 1/4"copper. If the compressor runs for a while the plastic will melt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim:

In checking HF's specs, they call for 100psi max. I hope they mean 100psi max for the plastic tubing not the valve. What is your tank pressure? I am planning on approx 120psi min.

thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Deschler
    Jim:

In checking HF's specs, they call for 100psi max. I hope they mean 100psi max for the plastic tubing not the valve. What is your tank pressure? I am planning on approx 120psi min.

thanks,

Mike
    Mike, I have an older "IR" two cylinder single stage, with a vertical 60 gal tank. It comes on at 100 PSI, and shuts off at 130 PSI. I bought it cheap with a "Burned up" motor. I bought a Cheap HF Compressor motor. It's given me about five years of pretty heavy use so far. I don't know who actually manufactured the compressor, Ingersol-Rand sold out their name.
    Sometimes I wonder if I don't need a twelve step program: "Harbor Freight Anonymous"