Thread: Electric vs Torch Branding Irons ?

Electric vs Torch Branding Irons ?

I was able to find quite a few posts here from users of branding irons for marking work, but not really anything as to the difference between the types. One of the things I'm considering spending my LV Xmas GC on is a branding iron. There's roughly a $40 difference in cost. Has anyone here tried both types? Are there compelling reasons to go with the electric type other than possibly just convenience? I've got a torch for heating the standard type but was wondering if there are any issues with not getting as good of a mark due to possibly less consistent heating of the iron than with an electric ??
    Use the fence Luke

Hey Doug if I had it to do over again, I would do the electric verison. The torch one is kinda inconsitent. It takes a bit of practice to get it right and then ya still mess up from time to time.
    I think the electric one would be just all in all better, IMHO.

2 cents

Jimmy

I have an electric branding iron that my wife and son gave me more than 15 years ago. It still performs admirably. It takes a while to heat up but once it is hot burns a consistently dark image on the wood. I suggest you do trial burns on scraps of the wood you wish to burn to make sure of your contact time because once you take it off the wood to check your progress it is very difficult to put it back in the same place.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.