Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prime Shipping

I ordered an item from Amazon last week that was showing a delivery date of May 2nd. I was hoping it would end up getting delivered a lot earlier like some Amazon shoppers have reported. It hadn't shipped by today so I cancelled the order because I really want the item by the 21st for a project starting the 22nd. I figured I would need to place another order by today to have a prayer of getting the item by the 21st. It turns out that Rockler has the item in stock in their local stores for only a few dollars more than Amazon. My experience with Rockler is that they are typically about the highest price unless on sale and typically the last place I would look for anything. One Home Depot fifteen miles away has the item, but for 20% more than Amazon.

On another note:

What is it with people whining about shipping, delivery, and pickup services during a pandemic? Most grocery delivery and pickup services have experienced at least a 300% increase in demand. Yes, it will be harder to get a grocery delivery or pickup slot if you can get one at all. No, none of these companies could possibly have been prepared for a 300%+ increase in business in a matter of a week or two.

One lady was whining about Hy-Vee mismanaging their grocery pickup service because it was hard to get a slot and they were all like five days out. Another lady was moaning and groaning because it was taking four days to get a Shipt delivery. She felt justified in her whining because she paid $99 per year and Shipt should be able to get her same day or next day delivery like normal times. Shipt has hired over 70,000 workers in the past 30 days which I think is amazing since that is over 2,000 workers per day.

Grocery stores are limited by logistics as to how many pickup and delivery orders they can do. Any orders with frozen or refrigerated items (most orders) have to be kept in cold storage until picked up or delivered. Sure, stores could order refrigerated trailers, but now you need staff and portable stairs and such to get orders in and out of the trucks. Most grocery stores don't have an extra dock they can keep a refrigerated trailer at for weeks on end. Stores are going to need extra coolers and delivery totes for more delivery orders which take time to order and receive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I think the rip off part is that Amazon charges $119 per year for Prime membership. One of the benefits of Prime membership is supposed to be one to two day delivery on most items marked Prime. Now, many items marked Prime aren't shipping for a week or more and almost no Prime orders are meeting the one to two day window.

I don't believe that Amazon has made any offers to extend memberships or refund money to Prime members. I suspect there will be a small, yet significant, number of Prime subscribers who won't renew due to this. There will be Prime subscribers worried that they pay for fast shipping and Amazon might have another extended period where they don't offer the one to two day shipping subscribers are paying for.

I personally don't think Amazon is doing the wrong thing by extending delivery times for many Prime items to expedite orders for essentials. (Of course, some essentials are only for healthcare now which no doubt is pissing off customers.)
    I'm hearing a mixed message, first Amazon is ripping us off then I don't think Amazon is doing anything wrong by extending delivery times for many Prime items to expedite orders for essentials. I believe you are correct in your second statement especially given we are in a once in 100 year worldwide pandemic and as someone else pointed out the number of orders has increase by a factor of 3. Also Amazon has hired 100,000 new employees and give $2/hr raises in an effort to maintain the level of service. I just placed an order on Friday it was promised for Thursday and it arrived Tuesday. I also take advantage of Prime Video which is worth the membership fee by itself. So I don't feel I'm being ripped off. If there is another extended period where they don't offer 2 day shipping it probably means World War Three has broken out or maybe it's time to start building an ark.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I'm hearing a mixed message, first Amazon is ripping us off then I don't think Amazon is doing anything wrong by extending delivery times for many Prime items to expedite orders for essentials. I believe you are correct in your second statement especially given we are in a once in 100 year worldwide pandemic and as someone else pointed out the number of orders has increase by a factor of 3. Also Amazon has hired 100,000 new employees and give $2/hr raises in an effort to maintain the level of service. I just placed an order on Friday it was promised for Thursday and it arrived Tuesday. I also take advantage of Prime Video which is worth the membership fee by itself. So I don't feel I'm being ripped off. If there is another extended period where they don't offer 2 day shipping it probably means World War Three has broken out or maybe it's time to start building an ark.
    Okay, I worded it wrong. I think others are justified in feeling ripped off by Amazon. However, I don't feel ripped off by Amazon. For full disclosure my parents have me on their Prime membership. Almost zero chance I would pay the $119 myself although Prime shipping has saved me on a project multiple times when nobody local has an item.

If Amazon gets through this without losing Prime members then what happens if say they get behind at Christmas? What is to say they wouldn't extend shipping times a week or past Christmas to avoid paying overtime and high shipping expenses? They'll think nobody quit Prime during two months of delivery delays so why not save on overtime and expedited shipping cost and just extend shipping times out?

Okay, I worded it wrong. I think others are justified in feeling ripped off by Amazon. However, I don't feel ripped off by Amazon. For full disclosure my parents have me on their Prime membership. Almost zero chance I would pay the $119 myself although Prime shipping has saved me on a project multiple times when nobody local has an item.

If Amazon gets through this without losing Prime members then what happens if say they get behind at Christmas? What is to say they wouldn't extend shipping times a week or past Christmas to avoid paying overtime and high shipping expenses? They'll think nobody quit Prime during two months of delivery delays so why not save on overtime and expedited shipping cost and just extend shipping times out?
    Last time I checked Christmas comes around every year and I don't recall Amazon cutting corners and missing deliveries in the past. I agree some people might think they were ripped off if the delivery truck was hit by lightening a block from their house and their parcel was a day late but sounds like neither of us fall in that category.

I'm not sure how we got from Amazon prioritizing essentials in a time of pandemic, to "What keeps Amazon from slipping deliveries at Christmas?". But I think there's a huge difference. And Prime has been rock solid reliable for me, at Christmas.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Most of my recent orders arrived on-time or early.
    Ditto here. The odd bit is that I'm seeing things like:
    1. Order on Monday, predicted delivery next Tuesday.
    2. Ships on Wednesday (from 25 miles away), predicted delivery Saturday/Sunday.
    3. Arrives crack-of-dawn Friday.
    Either their estimation/scheduling models are breaking down or they're carrying the "underpromise and overdeliver" paradigm to extremes.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Not to mention amazon prime tv, music and a couple other things that come with it.

Wish I was getting my orders that quickly.
    I ordered some lights to redo the garage.
    Ordered April 3rd
    Shipped today April 15
    Scheduled delivery is Saturday April 18th.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Not to mention amazon prime tv, music and a couple other things that come with it.
    I found a lot of Prime video stuff to watch when I first got it. I've run through most of the stuff I'm interested in already. A lot of the stuff I would like to watch is not Prime so it has an extra cost. I never go to movie theaters and I would like to watch old movies like Speed, but Speed and most every movie I want to watch are not Prime.

PBS only makes a limited subset of their most popular shows available as Prime. This is a PBS decision, not Amazon. I downloaded the PBS app on my Roku and the same limitations exist. It turns out to unlock every PBS show in their app requires a $60 membership to the local PBS station.

Re: Am.Prime - I placed 3 SEPARATE orders for shop related small stuff in last week... received all 3 in 2-3 days.

Two were USPS, one was UPS.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Re: Am.Prime - I placed 3 SEPARATE orders for shop related small stuff in last week... received all 3 in 2-3 days.
    Sure, but what were the promised dates? A lot of stuff now has May 8th as the promised date, yet some stuff can be delivered in just a few days. Someone said the difference is if your local Amazon fulfillment center has the item or not. Nothing official from Amazon stating that so far as I am aware. I cancelled an Amazon order because it looked like it really wasn't going to ship for weeks and am heading over to Rockler to get the item in a few minutes.

Sure, but what were the promised dates? A lot of stuff now has May 8th as the promised date, yet some stuff can be delivered in just a few days. Someone said the difference is if your local Amazon fulfillment center has the item or not. Nothing official from Amazon stating that so far as I am aware. I cancelled an Amazon order because it looked like it really wasn't going to ship for weeks and am heading over to Rockler to get the item in a few minutes.
    Yup, I saw that on many items.

I was just lucky that the three items I wanted all showed couple days shipping, otherwise I would NOT have ordered them.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me