Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Drum Sander- Really hard decision

New Drum Sander- Really hard decision

WOW! I have spent days in review hell trying to decide on a low end drum sander. Looked at scores of them, started out looking at the WEN 10" $750 one at Home Depot and ended up buying a Jet 18/36 ($1500 with casters and infeed/outfeed extension and tax). I am doing a bunch of small 1' cheese boards and small art tile frames not much bigger that any of the choices out there, including bench top, would do but that didn't help at all with the decision because I want to build out my shop to handle lots of different types of projects for probably the next 20 years or so (I've got a $99 table saw that I have been using for 35 years).

I would guess I am a pretty typical of hobby folks on this board. While I have some dough to spend it's still limits me to well made prosumer stuff and other than hand tools (plenty of those) I need all the floor stuff. I am 59 with a shop full of 'get me by' tools I have accumulated over the years for working on small re-hab projects, home repair and building a 400' building just buying the tools as I went. Now as I am nearing a time in life when I can spend a lot more time in the shop I want start picking up a few nice wish list tools I have never had and replace some that are either worn out or just plain cheap and crappy like my cheap Home Depot chop saw and table saw bought on sale when I was 25 and used to death.

This was a much harder decision than I thought it would be. In the $600-$2000 range I found so many choices it was really an overload. I've had the Supermax 19-38, Grizzly open-end 18" and Jet 22-44 all in my cart at one point with all the accessories. Size, features, cost all kept me in a constant state of indecision. The digital readout of the SupperMax almost got me and then read a review of how useless a guy thought it was on a drum sander and he made a good argument. Going big always seems like a good move but I am in a minor part of a 2 1/2 car garage that is shared with a lot of pottery equipment so space is a big deal and so space almost got me into the SuperMax because of something as minor as folding infeed/outfeed add-ons.

At the end of the day I just pulled the trigger on the one (Jet 18/36) that was the latest in my cart. I decided that being able to do finish sanding on a set of wood glue up doors for a new house next year would be my large benchmark project and theoretically this is the smallest one I could get and use for that project on a 35 3/4" door. (I know, I know a LOT of people claim the open end sanders don't work for larger than drum pieces. But I have seen lots of videos of it working

Completely exhausted. Now I have a CNC, Planner, Drum Sander nailed. On to a good band saw when I recover from this buy.

Of course I still have a weekend of putting it together. It will take me 12 hours to do what the manual says should be done in 2, sigh.

The trouble with using the open ended feature, is that you have to adjust the drum slightly out of parallel with the table. If you leave it dead parallel, you will get a little step in the wood where it overlaps. You'll also find that removal of material at full capacity width is really a slow process. Besides the slow material removal, the cross grain scratches will be quite deep. These aren't like a platter thickness sander. Mine has some age on it, but running a 35 3/4" entrance door would be about the last thing I attempted. I love them for dressing drawer stock to thickness and perfect for bent shaker box parts.

Maybe we need a 'Wanted To Buy' section down in the marketplace.

I've been thinking about selling my SuperMax 19-38 with stand and DRO in lieu of getting the version with the drum/brush capability.

Depending on your needs, any of the machines you mentioned will do a decent job. I happened to have scored a (barely) used Supermax 19-38 this past fall and I don't anticipate ever using it for things wider than 19". When I have that need, I take the workpiece to Bucks County Hardwoods and have them run it through their "really wide" sander for chump-change.

----
    Chris, how's the DRO worked for you? I need to pick one up so I can not only get the accuracy but also switch back and forth between metric (my preferred system) and Imperial.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've been struggling with the same decision lately. I want (need) a drum sander for cleaning up segmented rings. I can clean up 3/4" rings on the disc sander but any thinner and it gets dicey. The Supermax has some nice features, but at a cost. I like the folding extension tables and the quick adjust lever. I suspect that the battery operated digital thickness gauge being operated on a sanding machine will not be long for this world. The Jet has a 5 year warranty and is on sale for 15% off and free shipping now but no folding tables and space is a premium. For my purposes, I think the 16-32 would be just fine. I just haven't convinced myself to make the leap yet.

That was an issue for me too but I measured and decided it was not enough to make the decision on since I was worried about just how sturdy and true those fold-a-way in/out feeds would be over time. Once I questioned that then moving to the Jet saved me couple hundred dollars out the door and moved me to the 18". Lots to consider.

ya know isn't that true, they all seemed to be great machines for the price and it just comes down to all the trade-offs being weighed with each.

I'm looking forward to jerking around with it. If I could just get a leg up on the finish sanding I would be happy with such a project. I built a boat a while back and all the sanding was a real pain.

I have resisted used though because I want the decisions for these large tools to be based on a match to me and features/reviews not just availability and price. Do others fell different?

I found the DRO useful for sanding down to a specified thickness when I had a lot of pieces to do that started off at varying thicknesses.

It was just more convenient to use the DRO than grabbing my calipers to check each piece.

I found it extremely accurate once you are down to the last 2 or 3 very light finishing passes through the machine.

It's a nice add-on, but not absolutely necessary.

Robert, I use my Drum Sander for segmented rings also, works very well. I don't have the extension tables and frankly, I don't think they really offer that much assistance or advantage. The wood moves so slowly through the sander and the rollers clamp the work piece down well, it's easy to manually support the work on the in feed side and transition to the out feed as necessary. If I needed extra support, I'd just use standalone roller stands.

I also ditched the stand that my SuperMax came with and build this to utilize the dead space beneath it.

I have a 15" wide belt sander bought used that I would not have bought new strictly due to price. 1500 versus 5-6k. I just never could get happy with a drum sander, had three different ones. Table saw was bought new to be able to get exactly what I wanted. One panel saw was bought new and one was used at a great price that allowed me to fully option it out with new parts and still be less than new price for basic saw. So all depends on what you can find out there, and what options/features are highly important to you.
    Good luck with yours
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Depending on your needs, any of the machines you mentioned will do a decent job. I happened to have scored a (barely) used Supermax 19-38 this past fall and I don't anticipate ever using it for things wider than 19".
    I had one in my cart a couple of times, too. But I was diligent on CL and found one (after 6 months) that the owner had recently bought & assembled, including wheels. He was cutting down wood on a new Powermatic 14" bandsaw, then sanding the 2” strips to laser engrave. He then found a source for pre-cut plates. I got there and thought it was new (almost). No argument for the $800. Works great on cutting boards! He sold the new bandsaw & DC for like $800 too, but I didn't need either.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D Evans View Post
    I've been struggling with the same decision lately. I want (need) a drum sander for cleaning up segmented rings. I can clean up 3/4" rings on the disc sander but any thinner and it gets dicey. The Supermax has some nice features, but at a cost. I like the folding extension tables and the quick adjust lever. I suspect that the battery operated digital thickness gauge being operated on a sanding machine will not be long for this world. The Jet has a 5 year warranty and is on sale for 15% off and free shipping now but no folding tables and space is a premium. For my purposes, I think the 16-32 would be just fine. I just haven't convinced myself to make the leap yet.
    i bought the Supermax 19/38 for this purpose. Sanding rings by hand was a pain in the behind so this is a time saver. I have no complaints.
    Don

The spending creep always gets me. I'm looking for one to sand rings after glue up for segmented bowls. Each time I look at new I end up looking at the Grizzly 24" drum sander with the thought that not being an open ended sander I wouldn't have to deal with adjusting the sander not to get a tapered board. Of course I've now gone from something I can find used for $500 to $800 around here pretty easily to $2k so I revert back to keeping an eye on the used market. One thing I have noticed is when it comes to drum sanders the open end ones are always coming up used on the market (and selling quickly). I don't know if that means they are a great option and when people outgrow them they hold their value or if it's people who bought them thinking they can sand a 36" table with ease.

Alex, I think one of the reasons that drum sanders come up used (and often barely used) is because folks buy them in anticipation of using them a lot, only to find that their actual project work isn't there and the space they take up is more valuable. That happened to me the first time around....bought a very nice Performax 22-44 and used it exactly once over a long time period. It turned out that the kind of work I was doing at the time didn't benefit. So I sold it in the Classifieds here (for good money) to another 'Creeker and moved on. Things change...with the guitar work I started a year ago, having a drum sander became an asset, so when a (barely) used Supermax 19-38 came up in the Classifieds here last fall...I grabbed it...at a very good discount off new. Given I now have the business, it was also fully depreciated on my 2019 corporate tax, too. I haven't used it a lot but it's the "right tool for the job" a lot more now than that first time around.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...