Thread: Laguna Ceramic Guides

Laguna Ceramic Guides

A little over a year ago I scooped up a used Italian Laguna LT18 with ceramic guides. The guides were used but still had plenty of life however they are now loosing fitting in the mounts. I know these are replaceable but I don’t want to replace something with a lot of life left on it. Can a drop of super glue be used to secure them in place until needing to be replaced, or should I just bite the bullet and replace them? This is my first bandsaw and I’m not super familiar with the ceramic guides.

Several years back one of my ceramic guides loosened and fell out. A call to Laguna tech service where he advised using some gel super glue to put it back in place. No problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Several years back one of my ceramic guides loosened and fell out. A call to Laguna tech service where he advised using some gel super glue to put it back in place. No problems since.
    That's what I wanted to hear. Several of mine are loose and will fall out when changing blades. Thank you Mike.

Yes, glue those suckers in place! I had one come loose while running the saw and it jacked up a freshly sharpened Resaw king.

I have Laguna ceramic guides on my bandsaw If you remove the guides and view the ceramic insert from above you will see the ceramic block is glued in off center

To prolong the life of your block(or if the edges of your block are chipped) you can turn the guide 180 degrees so an unused portion of the ceramic is in contact with the blade
    Please note you will need to make an adjustment to the lateral movement of the guide to locate the face of the ceramic insert just behind the bottom of the gullets of your blade (or retrack the blade if appropriate)
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 04-11-2020 at 6:29 AM.

I am a bit dense (and getting more so every day!) If you glue the blocks in place, how are they adjustable? My problem is getting the holder tight enough to keep them in place. Is that the same problem you are having? Thanks
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    I am a bit dense (and getting more so every day!) If you glue the blocks in place, how are they adjustable? My problem is getting the holder tight enough to keep them in place. Is that the same problem you are having? Thanks
    I don't believe you are thinking of the same thing. I'm not permanently fixing the block but just the actual ceramic guide piece. I have a few of the small ceramic pieces that are loose so I used some super glue and put a dab in the center and secured them to the block. When I need to replace them a little persuasion should release the ceramic guide and I can install a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alu View Post
    I don't believe you are thinking of the same thing. I'm not permanently fixing the block but just the actual ceramic guide piece. I have a few of the small ceramic pieces that are loose so I used some super glue and put a dab in the center and secured them to the block. When I need to replace them a little persuasion should release the ceramic guide and I can install a new one.
    Thanks for the follow up, Michael. Acetone (finger nail polish remover) should dissolve the super glue when needed.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!