Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything better than Lie-Nielsen?

Anything better than Lie-Nielsen?

While I think Lie-Nielsen planes are quality tools there are features in the manufacturing and machining that could be improved. Are there more quality crafted planes?

Having used LN planes and antique Stanley planes, I'm wondering what problems in the manufacturing and machining are of concern to you in the LN planes. The planes I've used have worked fine for me. I never felt I was limited in any way by their manufacturing or machining.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Well that’s a bold statement Steve. I find Lie Neilson stuff to be top shelf much better then anything I can make.
    One area I would like to be different is the A2 steel blades. It’s tough to sharpen
    Aj

Karl Holtey made the "ne plus ultra" planes. You will need to find them used though as he stopped making them.
    Sauer and Steiner in Canada make planes that are outstanding in looks and function.
    Old Street Tool makes wooden body planes that are lust-worthy.

That is just off the top of my head, there are many more.

Mike

PS, please share with us what can be improved on Lie-Nielsen planes. I would be very interested to know what you think is lacking.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

You can certainly find more expensive planes, some of which are stunning in appearance eg http://www.lazarushandplane.com/shop...anel-plane-282

Whether they wok any better I wouldn't know. I've never found reason to fault L-N.

I thought you were bummed about not “getting your hands on” some LN tools?

I’m also interested in what you think could be improved on the LN planes.

I like my LN tools, which are generally very well-made versions of classic designs. Good story overall.

There are some more expensive planes -- usually infill or the occasional Bridge City tool. Not clear to me whether there is a performance improvement or whether this is largely an issue of aesthetics. Some folks like the classic stanley planes better -- these will tend to have some patina/history, a curved chip breaker and lighter weight (which can be good for some uses); but tend to be a bit sloppier on things like depth-adjustment knob and are in varying conditions.
    Others like wood planes for the weight/aesthetic.

Veritas tends to build to a similar quality level. Their PMV11 blades tend to get more positive feedback than LN's A2. Veritas also tends to rethink the design a bit -- you will see additions like the set screws to lock the low-angle jack plane blade lateral adjustment. And they are selling their plow plane.

I'd recommend researching on a tool-by-tool basis. Ultimately, none of the tools will hold back your woodworking (unless you use up your wood budget buying them!)

Have fun!

Matt

I have a lot of planes, most of which are Lie Nielsen. Among the menagerie are a few older Stanleys and newer Veritas and one wood Philly coffin smoother. Without exception I place the LNs above the others. They’re almost always ready to use out of the box. While I like the Veritas planes (all with PMV 11 blades), I feel they’re a bit over engineered for my taste. But that’s quibbling, because there’s no question that the build quality is excellent. There are other plane makers producing quality and aesthetics that LN and Veritas cannot match, but they cost thousands of dollars, not hundreds. So count me among the group seeking an answer to your comment.

Almost all my planes are Veritas and I thought both Veritas and LN are top quality. I've never felt that the tool is limiting me (almost always its my own technique or limitations).
    There are certainly other brands that are quite a lot more money but I've never owned any to judge whether they are better quality
    (e.g. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...le-bench-plane)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    While I think Lie-Nielsen planes are quality tools there are features in the manufacturing and machining that could be improved. Are there more quality crafted planes?
    If LN doesn't quite do it for you, have you looked into Sauer & Steiner planes? https://sauerandsteiner.blogspot.com/
    Quite beautiful if you ask me. All hand made with price to match:

FWK13Profile.jpgFWK13BackView.jpgBBSNo4Smoother.jpg

11. I cannot fault my Lie Nielsen planes so likewise am curious to hear where you feel they need improvement in manufacturing / quality. Other than one-off makers i don't know of any higher quality, manufactured, planes.

In fact, other than perhaps more exotic materials, i'm not sure if there are any meaningful improvements one could make to say a Lie Nielsen No.4 etc? Maybe if one prefers a lighter casting - but that is a preference not a manufacturing quality issue.

I'm more than happy to buy your sub standard Lie Nielsens at a large discount...

Cheers, Dom

From my perspective (I own a manufacturing plant, fabricating automotive parts from powdered metal, along with a number of CNC machining centers, for finishing operations), both LN and LV are at the top of the manufacturing game for their planes. Could each go further? Maybe, but what is there to gain? You can already get sub .001" shavings thickness, the controls are all smooth and products visually attractive.

I'm curious what the OP would want (don't want to sound snarky, but am interested what he would like to see improved). However, I have to add (can't remember what maker), one plane maker, maybe Record, had a higher finished model for sale. I think LV sold them about a dozen years ago, but didn't seem to sell well.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I wonder if the OP simply wants the best things money can buy? I mean, Holtey, Marcou and others mentioned are the cats' meow of finish and precision. But I don't know that they function a whole lot better than an LN.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Incoming!!! Duck and cover

Blog Entries
    For me the Bailey design is more appealing. That is my only gripe about LN planes. If one of their flat top planes were mine, it might get the flat top filed over to be a more rounded shape like a Bailey plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)