Thread: Signal Sys

Signal Sys

Anyone had experience with a signal system from house to shop? Until recently, when my wife wanted my attention, she would push a button on an intercom - I would hear it and head for the house. All this traveled on 22-24 gauge phone wire installed when we built house and shop. All this fell apart when I lost my hearing and can not hear the intercom.
    Bill

You could re-purpose the existing wire to drive a relay controlling some bright lights so they flash when she pushes a button.

Or there are many wireless options depending on how far the shop is from the house.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Since we use text messaging even IN the house, that's also the go-to for communication between my shop and the house.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We use MRChime (dot com) between house and our shop.

door bell button option at one location, and the bell part in the shop...with light option so I see it when to much noise to hear
    I even have anther sensor sitting just outside the shop, so when someone drives up to the yard it sounds/flashes the same receiver in the shop
    all wireless, about 7 plus years now with no problems.

I use Bose noise canceling headphones paired with my iPhone to listen to audiobooks. My phone interrupts for calls. It might be useful to protect what hearing you have left.

Our cordless phones have an intercom feature. The setup came with 4 handsets and I appropriated one for the shop. My wife uses it to call me in for meals. Texting is also an option, but our cell service is weak on a good day, hence the need for a landline.

We also message using an app. You can set most app or texts to vibrate, which you should be able to feel.

How about running a string of LED lights all around the perimeter of my 600sqft shop? That’s my son-in-law proposal. He and I have a running joke that when one of us tends to get carried away on Project design, the other verbalizes the alarm “OE-OE…” as in Over-Engineering. It will be a long time before this effort is topped with a more extreme enterprise. Thanks all for your comments. Bill