Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Started On New Kitchen Table

Fitting the first tenon:

fittingTenon.jpg

Once the tenons are fitted I'll trim the top of the uprights and saw the bridle joints. This is a pretty simple build.

ken

Just started a thread over in "new projects" to answer Joe and David. Thanks Ken-carry on.

Thanks for the progress photo Ken.
    David

Looking good, Ken. Also, impressive broom collection 👌

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Looking good, Ken. Also, impressive broom collection 
    Phil,

Not too bad a collection, now to find someone that knows how to use one. I lost the instruction manual a few years ago.

ken

You build longer pieces the way I was taught - resawn boards reglued to put grain in opposition.

Gary Knox Bennet would approve!

Picking up any new radio stations with your new "ticker clicker" ?

Being under the watchful eye of MsBubba and her list of honey does the kitchen table build is going slowly but now that we have finished the roof re-coating the pace may pick up. The table uprights have been fitted to their mortises. The shoulders still need a little trimming but that will come.

tableBaseA.jpg

Next is cutting the uprights to length and sawing the bridle joints for the table supports. BTW, the long board behind the table feet will be the stretcher, the table support boards are to the right on the drill press table.

The slab is still undecided, I guess a trip to the wood store is in the near future.

Stay safe,

ken

So far today I've stayed out of MsBubba's line of sight so some work is being done on the table. Today I'm fitting the table cross supports to the leg uprights. I'm using a bridal joint that will be draw bored with I'm thinking three pegs. The only difficulty with bridal joints is getting all the nasty bits out of the corners and the floor flat all the way across.

tableCrossSuppot.jpg

ken

First leg completed rough fit:

tableLegRoughFit.jpg

The other leg is also fitted with the cross piece, next up is chopping the stretcher mortise and then clean up of the legs before drawbore, pegging, and gluing the modules. Still haven't decided on the slab.

ken

You might look at some birch Ken. It’s a bit harder than alder. The grain and color will come out close with a little picking through the stack.

Ken,

It looks like nice progress is being made.

Stew

Progress Ken. My shop floor looked like your bench top in the first photo and I had to drop back and sweep up the crunchies from underfoot. I had some soft soled moccasins on and they don't work when stepping on dovetail cut outs. On clearing out your bridle joint (a bridal joint is something in Las Vegas I believe), do you ever drill out the bulk of the waste between the two vertical cuts and then clean out the corners? Or just treat it like a dovetail and either chop it out or cope saw it?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Progress Ken. My shop floor looked like your bench top in the first photo and I had to drop back and sweep up the crunchies from underfoot. I had some soft soled moccasins on and they don't work when stepping on dovetail cut outs. On clearing out your bridle joint (a bridal joint is something in Las Vegas I believe), do you ever drill out the bulk of the waste between the two vertical cuts and then clean out the corners? Or just treat it like a dovetail and either chop it out or cope saw it?
    Thanks David,

Being a native Texan English isn't my long suit .

On ones this size I will drill first. Smaller ones I will use the turning bow saw.

Yeah, I had too many projects going at once, there are still a couple but I hope to put 'em off until I finish the table.

ken

Ken, you aren't alone, English, especially spelling words in English, is not my long suit either. However, I have lived here almost 30 years so I am fairly fluent in speaking West Texan, but growing up in far Western Kansas, it wasn't a big switch to learn "West Texan" after growing up speaking "Western Kansan."

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    You might look at some birch Ken. It’s a bit harder than alder. The grain and color will come out close with a little picking through the stack.
    James,

Birch is hard to find here in the desert, fact is I do not think I've ever seen any here in Tucson. Maybe Phoenix. MsBubba is talking about using a black milk paint on the base which would make matching woods moot. While I like milk paint I'm not sure about it this time.

ken