Thread: I broke my Dewalt DW705 miter saw.

I broke my Dewalt DW705 miter saw.

The blade guard on my Dewalt DW705 12" compound non-sliding miter saw cracked when I dropped it. Everything else seems to be in good shape. A replacement guard is going to cost me $100. I can buy a DW715 off Amazon which appears to be comparable for $229. Should I buy a $100 replacement guard for my 20 year old saw, a new comparable saw for $229, or look for something else?

I have no interest in a sliding compound miter saw (SCMS). I have never seen one that comes close to keeping an angle like a non-sliding saw. I own a 1947 - 7.5hp 16" RedStar 60A turret arm radial arm saw (predecessor to the Rockwell/Delta turret arm RAS's) that makes SCMS's bow their heads in shame. What matters to me is an accurate repeatable angle. A 12" blade is all the cut capacity I will ever need.

Are there any CMS that are any better than my old DW705? Are the new Dewalt CMS (DW715) as good as the original? Are there any new CMS's that would be an upgrade? ...that don't cost a fortune? Mainly for accuracy? Weight and portability don't matter to me. Dust collection... might matter a little. I see there are belt drive CMS's that give a touch more capacity. Do they have any other advantages other than a minor bit larger cut? Noise?

The one thing I have been disappointed in with my DW705 is the Irwin laser guide that replaces the retaining washer on the blade to give a nice laser guide line does not fit on my DW705.

Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 04-12-2020 at 2:10 AM.

Buy a new one and sell the old one though CL to someone who thinks accidents never happen.

PS: I have a type one 705, and found a laser guide like you mention. Didn't work on that saw, and I took it off, and tried it out on my RAS. Didn't like it and took it off that saw also.

If I ever replace mine I will look for one with a shadow line guide.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 04-12-2020 at 2:25 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Does the saw still work? Is it just the plastic shroud that cracked and broke?
    Me personally I'd get an inexpensive plastic welding kit and weld the plastic back together, if possible,or use as is.
    I have that same miter saw and have never been disappointed with it. I've had it since the mid 1990's. I actually bought it to cut aluminum extrusion, but it's been central to my small shop since that project was finished.
    Accounting for inflation, it was a pretty darn expensive saw in it's day.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have the DWS780 15 Amp 12 in. Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw and I love it. Have had for many years and it is dead on accurate. It isn't cheap. The DWS779 15 Amp Corded 12 in. Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw is on sale at Home Depot now for $349. I have had good success with a slider. Since I build furniture a slider is a must.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

I've had the DW716 for about 5 years now. It is like the 715 but with dual bevel capacity and the motor is moved back and drives the blade with a belt giving additional capacity.

I like the saw a great deal, very accurate and powerful. With a Forrest chopmaster blade I trust it with precision crosscuts and miters on narrower stock. Wider stuff is handled on the TS.

I agree with you on CMS vs SCMS, every SCMS I've handled has substantially more play at the business end.

Dust collection is marginal at best with a shopvac on the factory port. The opening is tiny, like 1".

The plastic part is actually unscathed, it is the aluminum inner part of the guard that actually cracked and is warped all out of shape. I tried beating it into submission but that just extends the crack. The part is so warped the lower guard doesn't really operate properly. The aluminum part is only available as a kit and $94.95 on ebay is the best I can find. My 16" radial arm saw only has an upper guard and it is my most used saw. I will give the Dewalt a try without the lower guard and see how it does... and see if I feel comfortable with it.

After thinking about it for quite a bit I think I am just going to run it without the lower guard. The upper guard that covers the majority of the blade is fine.

So many miter saws come up on craigslist that have practically no use on them I think I am going to just run what I have and pick up a double bevel CMS (DW716) when a deal comes up. There has been a couple times that it would have been handy to be able to bevel in the opposite direction. I couldn't find any CMS's that seem to out perform the Dewalt in any reviews or forums so that is what I will probably stick with.

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate them!

What else can you get for a hundred bucks?

The newer models aren't as good, especially if you have a Type 1 or 2 705

I own a couple of 705's, plus a 708 (10".) They are the toughest saws ever made. You see siding guys with them built into a bench on side of trailer, where they sit in all kinds of weather, plus road spray when it's raining. Check pawn shops, and CL for used ones. Around here they go for around $100. A complete parts saw for about what one part would cost you, seems like a no brainer to me
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 04-13-2020 at 9:31 PM.

If it's an old 705, I'd spend whatever to keep it running. I have one and it's deadly accurate. I also have a new 10" one and it's not as good. As some have said, they don't make them like they used to...... I can make picture frames. Something I would not do with the new one. The new one has it's good points. Accuracy is not one of them.
    Just my $0.02.