Thread: Mission/craftsman - Self designed night stands to match a bed

Mission/craftsman - Self designed night stands to match a bed

I've built a pair of night stands to match the bed that I built last year. They are made out of quarter sawn white oak that I sourced at a local saw mill that only works with urban lumber, so trees that are already being cut down for another reason or have fallen due to storms, etc.

Here's where I started with the 3d model:

This was my first dovetail! It was also the only dovetail that was even close... so I turned all the dovetails just into tenons.

This was the first dry fit making sure everything fit correctly before finishing started.

Finished with a mission brown water based dye.

This is after the dye, two coats of shellac, and a wipe on walnut gel stain.

This was the first of two mistakes, this top had two lines of snipe that I
    only noticed after the top coat of polyurethane. I had to sand it all the
    way down and start over on the finish.

Making and fitting the rails for the drawers.

This was my only real mistake and it was a big one! I hadn't ordered the
    hinges yet, and the stiles weren't wide enough.

So I remade the doors with 2 inch stiles and 1.75 inch rails.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-12-2020 at 7:11 PM. Reason: Removed links to another forum...prohibited by TOS

Chris, posting photos requires you become a Contributor...please click on the Donate link up above. It's only $6 for a year and also gets you access to private messages and the Classifieds. Please also review the TOS (Terms of Service) as we do not permit links to another forum. You can upload your photos here and they will stay with your threads into the future for content continuity.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Thanks Jim.