Thread: ONEWAY Coring System

ONEWAY Coring System

Hello, I have the ONEWAY Coring System with all 4 knives. I am very happy with it. I have cored an 8.5 inch bowl getting 2 bowls. Mainly to see if I could. I also cored a 17 inch Oak Burl and got 4 very nice bowls. I have done many others and feel very confident using the system. Now I have a huge piece of maple that I will have to cut down to fit my Powermatic 20 inch lathe. It is at least 12 inches thick with the pith removed. My question is: The number 4 knife says a depth of 7 1/2 inches on bowls 16 3/4 to 18 inches. What would you experienced large bowl corer’s suggest for blank thickness for maximin yield. I am thinking about 9.5 x 20. Any feedback will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

2" seems like a lot for the bottom thickness after coring. I've never been able to put a 24" blank on my 2436 Oneway. You must be a master at cutting and mounting to put a max capacity blank on.

If you're going to max out the system just proceed carefully. Do your math for the maximum depth you can achieve from the largest blade and include the width of cutter and wall width you want on the largest bowl and you can calculate the size of blank you need. If the outer blank ends up a little thick just go in and clean up the inside too thin it to where you want it. The other blades with that system should work in relation to the largest bowl taken.
    Last edited by Dale Bonertz; 04-13-2020 at 12:03 PM.

I like to use a laser setup to actually sort of see where the cutter will be. This way I can adjust the cutter position for exactly the shape and thickness that best suits the piece. I do have a blog explaining my process if you care to take a look here is a link.
    https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress...ore-laser-aid/
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    I like to use a laser setup to actually sort of see where the cutter will be. This way I can adjust the cutter position for exactly the shape and thickness that best suits the piece. I do have a blog explaining my process if you care to take a look here is a link.
    https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress...ore-laser-aid/
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for the article. Where did you source your laser? It looks like it's well suited for this.

Thanks, Neil

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Neil, I was lucky enough to get a laser along with my Kobra hollowing system and have been using that but any laser that will focus to a small dot at 12" or so will do the trick nicely. I thing they are pretty inexpensive these days on Amazon.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

The laser is simple and brilliant. To date I've just eyeballed the placement of the cutter with generally good success, but have erred on the side of leaving the bottom of the biggest bowl too thick with some frequency. This is an easy fix. Thank you!

Thanks Roger. Yes I too originally left way too much on the bottoms. I also find that using the laser allows me to 'play' a little more with positioning the cutters and support for slightly different shape bowls.
    Pete