Thread: Side Grain Technique

Side Grain Technique

When facing off the end of say a bowl I have seen using the bottom side of the flute in a scraping motion back and forth. Is there a way to use the tip of the gouge to cut this? Seems like a catch waiting to happen?

My wife wanted me to make a wooden button for her. I was wondering how to cut a recess in the face to make it look a little fancier. Worried that as soon as the gouge hits end grain it will catch and ruin the turning.

Thanks
    Mike

I think I understand what you're asking. You can use the tip of the gouge if presented in the right orientation and if taking a small cut. But otherwise can you scrape it instead of cut? Either a skew on it's side for the edges of the button and a small NRS for the inside.

I made a number of small NRS for detail such as this. I don't have pictures of all of them but here are a few.

scrapers_small_thompson.jpg

I also use a small version (1/4") of my custom "wicked point tool" for sharp line detail in both face and end-grain turnings. It makes a cleaner line than a "normal" 3-facet point tool.

point_tool_comp.jpg

The small Hunter Hercules or Osprey tool also works wonders on such things and can be used effectively in the scraping mode on good (not punky) wood, the harder the wood the better. I sometimes shape with the Hunter then smooth with the NRS. Or should it be NRSs.

JKJ

Thanks for the replies.

John - with the NRS do you address them perpendicular to the end face of the turning?

When I want to face off the end of a spindle perpendicular to the lathe axis, I orient the spindle gouge horizontal, the bevel perpendicular to the lathe axis, and the flute facing 3 o'clock. Take a thin cut, work slowly. Practice on scrap first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

John - with the NRS do you address them perpendicular to the end face of the turning?
    Yes, horizontal on the rest and perpendicular to the face, unless I want some angled detail. For shallow curved detail I still hold the tool horizontally but might sweep a curved NRS.

On end grain in hard, fine-grained wood (such as in box lid or base) these will often give glass-smooth surfaces. The NRS, of course, need a burr to work - I hone off the ragged grinder burr and use a burnisher to raise a smooth burr.

JKJ

Good time to resharpen and hone the old gouge, small and pointy of course.