Thread: How to size assembly table base

How to size assembly table base

I’m building a Ron Paulk style assembly table/out feed table. It will be permanent, not mobile. Dimensions of the table will be 62” long by 47” wide. It will have drawers and cabinets underneath. It will go all the way to the ground, no room for a toe kick. My question is how far to reduce the base to have room for my feet. It seems like it would be uncomfortable if it was the same size as the top. Thinking about three inches. Would you use over extension drawer slides? Thanks,
    -Ben
    Last edited by Ben Helmich; 04-14-2020 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Bad typer

3" minimum, IMHO, but I'd probably give my feet a little more room just to be sure, honestly. The slides you mention might be convenient with the setback of the drawers due to the previous design element.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have something very similar to this. I have my TS and assembly/outfeed table in the middle of my shop. The saw and extension table are 27” by 8’. The assembly table is 4x8 so the whole set up is 6 1/2 by 8 ft. I custom made cabinets fit underneath for storage, electrical for router table and saw. I also have plugs on all sides. While it’s big it serves as my assembly table which I do everything on. My shop is 20x20 so there’s still plenty of room to work.
    Don

Don, how did you handle the dust collection on the table saw? On mine it points directly to where the table will be. I was thinking about moving the port on the saw to side of the saw. It would give me another foot or so of cabinet space and a straight shot to the dust collector.

There is space between the saw and cabinets so I ran DC from the router and saw to the right hand side of the saw in are part of the cabinet. I can attach the hose to either port. I also ran wiring under the floor to power the saw and outlets.
    Don

To make it rigid it may help to put it on a 3" high base which will provide an opportunity for a proper toe kick space.

This is going to be an aircraft carrier in the middle of your shop so don't make it bigger than you need it. A drop leaf might get you bigger and smaller.

For an assembly table it may be useful to have a generous and sturdy overhang for clamping.

Many shallow drawers are better than a few deep ones. Lay out the stuff you plan to store and design around that.

I gave myself 4" all the way around for my assembly table. Torsion box style, It also now serves as my out-feed table for my new to me table saw. I planed on drawers when I built it, but didn't own a table saw, so now I have to finish the drawers, that back side has an adjustable shelf.