Thread: House Insurance

House Insurance

I'm in the process of selling a house. I've already moved, but I've had relatives living in it while it sells. They may move now and I was wondering if the normal house insurance I have covers the house if it sets empty?

Best advice I can give is to talk to your insurance agent and write down his answers to make a record. As you might know, whatever he says is not necessarily binding in the policy and agents can make mistakes, so having a record of what is said is your best fall back position.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

I remember something like "If the house is empty for 30 days the insurance is not in force." Should look at the policy and ask lots of questions.
    Jerry

An empty house only requires fire insurance. The normal home owner package insures contents and a variety of other things. However, under any circumstance you should talk to your insurance agent.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

House Insurance

I agree tak to your agent. An empty house may cost MORE because of the increased liabilty, attractive nuisance factor, and more likely that a problem will go unnoticed and therefore cost more to fix.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

My house sat empty for about three months a few years ago and I had to get different insurance for it. The "different" insurance cost a little bit less but not much less.

Thanks all! Will give a call to the agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold
    As you might know, whatever he says is not necessarily binding in the policy and agents can make mistakes, so having a record of what is said is your best fall back position.
    In California, an insurance broker is required to be licensed, and what he/she says is binding. Maybe not by the carrier but by the independent agent.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Michael, I'm sure you are right. Unfortunately, unlike the other 49 states, insurance in Texas is "different." My geocentricism caused me to overlook this small matter, and a background in investigations has left me with the somewhat cynical attitude that if it is not in writing it didn't happen.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.