Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Grizzly 0623x or 2 year old Hammer K3 Floor demonstrator sliding tablesaw

New Grizzly 0623x or 2 year old Hammer K3 Floor demonstrator sliding tablesaw

Hi all,
    couple weeks ago I stated that I pulled the trigger on a Hammer K3 saw. Well, it still hasn’t shipped (maybe soon). So, my dilemma is should I cancel this purchase, and purchase a new Grizzly 0623X for a couple grand less?

I’m pretty upset that the Hammer is still sitting on the showroom floor. But I guess my real question is, is the 2 year old European slider as a demo worth that much more that the Grizzly is new?

Any thoughts or considerations I need to consider?

bob

I wrote a review of my G0623x not too long ago. I honestly love it, I'd have no hesitation about pulling the trigger on one again, especially compared to the pricier Hammer. I've seen a few Hammer's in person. They're alright, but I don't think there's much there to make it that much better than the G0623x. They almost felt flimsy to be honest, at least in comparison. My G0623x slides super smooth, cuts perfectly square with easy repeatability if you need to take the slider fence off. Plenty of support for cutting 4x8 panels, rips well, came setup well from the factory. Easy to adjust basically anything. Plenty of HP. I can't see what a more expensive Hammer would have to offer.

I do think certain lower-end European makes tend to be a bit hyped up, like Hammer, especially for the price. Grizzly offers better value in that range. Higher-end European makes are probably built better, but also much more costly.

Here's my review btw: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ble-Saw-Review

I wouldn't take 10 seconds to make the decision. Hammer all the way. Better machine in my opinion and much better resale if that makes a difference.

I was real happy with my G0623X, had to sell due to several moves.

That Grizzly G0623X slider looks like a fine piece of equipment - in my estimation. I'm sure that the Hammer is a nice machine also, but at 2K more for a used one I feel that the G0623X is worth some serious consideration.
    David

Is the shipping delay of the Hammer a result of recent world events? If so, do you think the Grizzly will be delivered sooner?

Grizzly generally ships their larger equipment via UPS Freight. From my recent personal experience, most of the UPS stuff has generally been running on time. The Grizzly site shows the G0623X in stock at both locations available for immediate shipment. In addition, it's on sale thru April 20 at a nice 10% discount (savings of $339 - which will probably be enough to cover most of the freight + sales tax). As an added bonus, it is manufactured in Taiwan (not China) which generally indicates better quality. I know this from personal experience with my Grizzly equipment.

Sounds like they're keeping the Hammer on the showroom floor for the time being. Bob would need to contact the vendor directly to get the facts. By the way, I've always had prompt shipping and extraordinary customer service from Grizzly - I've probably got at lest 20 of their machines. Also have some top of the line Japanese stuff (Matsuura, Nakamura Tome, etc) to compare the Taiwan machines to.
    David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 04-15-2020 at 8:40 AM.

Just going by the pictures on Grizzly's website, the sliding table design on the G0623X appears to preclude the user from standing in the conventional position while ripping with the rip fence because the fixed part of the sliding table sticks way out from the front and there's a leg, occupying the real estate where your body would be. I assume the alternative is to stand to the left of the saw and lean over, which felt awkward, at best, when I tried it on my saw, especially passing my arm over the top of the blade (even with the guard on and using a push stick). I'd be curious to hear from those who have this saw how they use the rip fence and whether or not this design feature is a drawback in practice--or maybe I am missing something? Note that the K3 (and some other small sliding table saws) have a table that only sticks out less than a foot, so you can stand where you would with a cabinet saw.

I own a K3 Winner 79x48, and I never even really considered buying a Grizzly equivalent. The fit-and-finish of the Hammer is almost certainly better than the Grizzly. As David notes, those legs would probably get in the way, and aren't present on the Hammer machines. The smaller crosscut fence on the Grizzly just looks like a stock miter gauge; compare that to the Hammer which has a registration piece on the sliding table itself that allows for perfect setup each time, and a very beefy fence. The Hammer also supports 12" blades, although with the Hammer/Felder bore w/ registration pins so unfortunately you can't use standard off-the-shelf blades.

A brand new K3 48x48 starts at $4790 right now; that's obviously without an outrigger (that's an $1100 accessory for that saw). What model is the used K3 demo machine? I'm thinking it's either larger or has more accessories than the stock K3 48x48.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

After looking at the photos in the referenced previous thread, I have to say that I'd much prefer the design of the Hammer. I'm a sliding saw user, although a larger one. There are reasons that Euro sliding saws are designed the way they are and it seems like the alternative product has compromises in design that I wouldn't appreciate. I will note that I'm not concerned with quality of the alternative product at all...the manufacturer stands by their products. My concern is with the actual design; one is designed for purpose and one appears to be assembled from a combination of stuff that already exists in other formats. But that's just an opinion...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hardin View Post
    Hi all,
    couple weeks ago I stated that I pulled the trigger on a Hammer K3 saw. Well, it still hasn’t shipped (maybe soon). So, my dilemma is should I cancel this purchase, and purchase a new Grizzly 0623X for a couple grand less?

I’m pretty upset that the Hammer is still sitting on the showroom floor. But I guess my real question is, is the 2 year old European slider as a demo worth that much more that the Grizzly is new?

Any thoughts or considerations I need to consider?

bob
    Hi Bob

You do not say which K3 you have selected, that is, the length of the slider, and what accessories come with the package.

I have had a K3 for the past 3 or so years, and I think that it is built like a brick outhouse. Mine has provided faultless and precision service. I work with West Australiann hard wood, and there is nothing harder! The 4 hp K3 powers through everything. I am very happy with it.

The Grizzly looks to be a nice machine. I expect that you spent the same amount on the K3 in question. However, the K3 is likely to be a machine worth double the Grizzly, and generally there is a good reason for this.

Is there a reasonable reason for hold up in delivery? Such as Covid-19?

Regards from Perth

Derek

No, not covid delayed. Just normal delays.

Ok, I’m sold. I’ll give Felder a couple more days. They've already been paid and it’s a bit frustrating. I want to start playing! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hardin View Post
    Ok, I’m sold. I’ll give Felder a couple more days. They've already been paid and it’s a bit frustrating. I want to start playing! Lol
    At least you're not waiting on a new K3.

OK. The guys at Felder in Perth provide fantastic service. Obviously not necessarily so in your area (where are you?).

You have to ask yourself which saw you really want. In your heart. If it is the K3 - well you could have purchased the Grizzly at the time but did not do so - another month may not mean much in the grand scheme of things. In a year, the frustration of waiting will be forgotten. At the same time, good backup is important, and is this a portend of things to come?

I assume that you have spoken with the Seller and asked them why the delay?

Regards from Perth

Derek