Thread: How to make rounded waterfall table edge

How to make rounded waterfall table edge

Hello. I sure could use some help on this one. I've been asked to make a version of this table. It's about 16' in all dimensions. Any advice how to make the rounded corners so the grain will match along the length? My best guess is to glue-up boards to the proper width, cross cut to the approximate length of the corner pieces, resaw to create several thin slices and reglue in a rounded template. Obvously, a lot of effort. I'm hoping there is a better way! Thanks for your help.
    Greg
    table3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

To clarify, you're not looking to make a table the way the example was made -- obviously the curves in the example were milled out of thick stock that was not part of the blank for the sides/top. Instead, you're intending to make the bends by doing a bent lamination using strips sawn out of the initial blank?

I guess the first issue is that the grain in your bent lamination isn't going to match on the edges, because the resawing will take a bunch of pieces out. Your initial blank is going to have to be much thicker.

Also, you're probably going to have to remove a larger section for the bends, because you likely won't be able to get the top ply to bend to a perfect 90 without having a little extra sticking beyond the bend.

I'm not sure what part of the aesthetic of the example you're trying to capture. My suggestion is to just veneer the face of the whole thing, then the grain will really match all the way around -- all you have to do is figure out how to make the "end caps" that will show.

It really depends on what it is you're trying to accomplish. In a piece whose base use of laminations is so evident, being worried about capturing grain flow seems strange to me -- by that I mean on a traditional waterfall, it is the grain of a (usually single or few) boards that you're trying to get to flow over the corner. In a lamination like the one shown, the major "grain" feature is the lines of the lamination itself, not the grain of the individual components of the lamination (IMHO anyway).

My $0.02,

Dave

Thank you, Dave. All great points. You are correct that I'm hoping to make this with a waterfall look running over the curved edge. I appreciate your ideas. g.

Here is a link to a bent plywood magazine rack. The grain on the surface flows over the bend. Is that what you're talking about?
    https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...RoChkkQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Caputo View Post
    Hello. I sure could use some help on this one. I've been asked to make a version of this table. It's about 16' in all dimensions. Any advice how to make the rounded corners so the grain will match along the length? My best guess is to glue-up boards to the proper width, cross cut to the approximate length of the corner pieces, resaw to create several thin slices and reglue in a rounded template. Obvously, a lot of effort. I'm hoping there is a better way! Thanks for your help.
    Greg
    Greg, by “waterfall” I assume you want the grain to flow around from side to top to side. The example you provide is not a true waterfall as it uses shaped inserts, which are likely biscuited (or similar) to join the side-top. I went through this issue a year back, when asked to build a coffee table for a nephew. Just picture your example extended to include a lower section ...

I baulked at this construction as I build in solid wood and use joinery that will last a century, not furniture that ends up in the landfill in 5 or 6 years. Consequently, the piece I made in curly or fiddleback Jarrah used a case which was mitred though dovetails. This was a challenge, but is doable ... I would recommend anti-psychotic medication first, however Still, if you are game, there is a blow-by-blow account on my website - just scroll down to Coffee Table for my Nephew: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/index.html

This is a true waterfall ..

Since this build, I have completed two other variations.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Perhaps the technique used in this video is what you need. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hlgiwYqgHM

16 feet in all directions? I hope you mean 16 inches the 16 ft version will be very heavy.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Perhaps the technique used in this video is what you need. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hlgiwYqgHM

That was cool! thanks.

Keep in mind that the "shelf" from Marius has rounded ends, and not rounded corners. It is also not a waterfall. I love Marius - he is a truly creative and imaginative youngster - but his method is more about engineering than woodwork.

A simpler method, if you are prepared to veneer: kerf the corners of ply to create the bend, leave a straight section in the middle of each end, bend and glue, and then veneer the construction.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Cut your boards at the bend part kind of like you would for a segmented bowl (google) and glue them together. Then get the sander out and round it over. Put some decorative spines in for a little more strength, and maybe you will get what you are looking for...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Great ideas. Thank you all! g