Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1880s Bentel bandsaw

I needed more aggressive means.

Turned down the taper on a spindle sander spindle and chucked it up in the mill.

20200423_134800.jpg

20200423_143310.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Back together after I altered the offset guide mounts. Need a bit longer blade, but i found one that fit.
    Adjusted the lower wheel position and the saw tracks great and is square to the table in both directions.
    Will need to make wood lower guide. Motor, belts, starter, left. IMG_20200424_192302_929.jpg

IMG_20200424_192302_931.jpg

20200425_161242.jpg

Will you be building some kind of guard to cover that exposed blade at the back of the machine? That seems to me to be the big "accident waiting to happen" for this particular saw relative to human interaction. It sure is an elegant design to look at!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Will you be building some kind of guard to cover that exposed blade at the back of the machine? That seems to me to be the big "accident waiting to happen" for this particular saw relative to human interaction. It sure is an elegant design to look at!
    There is a bracket on the frame to mount a piece of wood to, to run up the left side of the saw. That will keep material from bumping into the blade on the up path.

That will be the only thing added.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    There is a bracket on the frame to mount a piece of wood to, to run up the left side of the saw. That will keep material from bumping into the blade on the up path.

That will be the only thing added.
    That's good to know. Aside from material hitting the blade moving up, it's an area I'd be concerned with human contact, too...Murphy works in amazing ways sometimes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's good to know. Aside from material hitting the blade moving up, it's an area I'd be concerned with human contact, too...Murphy works in amazing ways sometimes.
    I'm not worried about myself and my late 1800s equipment is for my personal use in my shop, plenty things more dangerous than this.