Thread: Project Design Questions

Project Design Questions

I am designing a built in bookcase would like some input from members.

It will have a base cabinet the top of which will 36" above the floor. The base cabinet will have four doors (cabinet is 59" wide) no stile between each pair of doors. Behind each pair of doors will be three roll out trays like used in kitchen cabinets. Above will be book shelves in two units with four shelves on each side. The top of the bookshelf part will end against a soffit. The soffit already exists and to keep the project simpler it will remain.

My questions are as follows:

Would you make the base cabinet with a toe kick?

How thick would you make the counter top of the base cabinet? I am thinking 1". The top will be wood.

Thanks for your input
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I always build the "toe kick" as a separate element because it's easier to level, takes away the need to notch the cabinet sides and allows one base to lock together multiple cabinets securely as a unit. Counter thickness is subjective...both personal taste and proportion come into play. Most counter tops are in the 1-1.25" thick range, but there's no set rule.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I prefer forgoing the toe kick on a built in bookcases. It makes it look a little less like a cabinet and a little more like furniture. Toe kicks serve a functional purpose needed in kitchens and baths than may not be needed on a built in. As far as the countertop, I would err on the thicker side than the thinner.

4. I'm with Jim, separate kicks always. much easier and can have one long one for several base cabinets. Having a scribe on them makes it a snap to fit and look great.

Is it trapped between two walls? You could do it either way, I would typically do it as a ladder base and probably not set the base to far out like a typical kitchen cab to avoid that look. Maybe set the kick back 1-2”.

mk

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    I prefer forgoing the toe kick on a built in bookcases. It makes it look a little less like a cabinet and a little more like furniture. Toe kicks serve a functional purpose needed in kitchens and baths than may not be needed on a built in. As far as the countertop, I would err on the thicker side than the thinner.
    Even if they are generally "flush" with the front of the bookcase, they serve a purpose of getting that lower shelf up off the floor. Stand-alone versions still have the feature in most cases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...