Thread: Jarrah Lumber ?

Jarrah Lumber ?

I just bought some Jarrah lumber (70 bft) from a friend that he had in his garage for about 15 years, The boards were milled a little over an inch thick and ranged in width between 8.5 to 10 " wide and all were 10' long. I plan on making a sideboard for the dining room to match the Jarrah dining table and chairs. His son-in-law was visiting from Austrailia and said that the government had banned the export of Jarrah wood. Has anyone heard about this? Just wondered if I needed additional wood in the future whether I would be able to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega
    I just bought some Jarrah lumber (70 bft) from a friend that he had in his garage for about 15 years, The boards were milled a little over an inch thick and ranged in width between 8.5 to 10 " wide and all were 10' long. I plan on making a sideboard for the dining room to match the Jarrah dining table and chairs. His son-in-law was visiting from Austrailia and said that the government had banned the export of Jarrah wood. Has anyone heard about this? Just wondered if I needed additional wood in the future whether I would be able to get it.
    This sounds fishy. I did a quote on a Jarrah floor about 1.5 years ago and found that the importer had changed. Its an outfit in MI as I recall. Also, I have printed material on Jarrah that states that it is under controlled harvest from plantations. They must grow as much as they harvest each year and no more.

On the flip side of the coin, Jarrah belongs to that Eucalyptus family which is chowed down on by that teddy bear looking rodent that flys quantas airlines. Whats the name of that thing again? At any rate, being that this thing has a selective diet, this may have had an impact on Jarrah. That would be a shame as its a very very cool wood.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Kowala bear (sp).

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 12-26-2005 at 1:52 PM.

Gilbert,

No experience with these folks........ www.jarrahwood.com

In general, try www.woodfinder.com when you need to search for particular hardwood needs.

All the best. Dave.

I would find that hard to beleive as Jarrah was developed as one of many different eucalyptus hybrids. Now it's quite possible that some of the producers are electing to plant and harvest something different; but I think a ban is unlikely as it was planted for the specific purpose of being harvested as an industry; atleast that's my understanding.

My local supplier has no problems getting Jarrah at this point; but if you want to use it as an excuse to stock up on another 100 bd/ft or so, I'm sure none of us would rat you out otherwise

Jim in Idaho

Thanks for the response, he may have been referring to the severe reduction talked about in one of the links provided.

I have checked on availablility in the past and the thing that stands out to me in your post is the width of boards. I have occasional need for 6" boards. They are a pretty rare item as far as I can tell.

My jarrah story started with me winning an eBay auction for 440 +/- bf of jarrah off cuts and mill trimmings. I paid $157 fo the whole pile. It included many 16' planks but nothing over 5 3/4" wide. We use the wood to build slat/camp chairs. The narrow stuff is perfect for the seat slat. The problem is the curved legs require a wider board to cut the arc from. The thought of a 10" wide board to trace my pattern to and cut multiple legs is.......

Anyway, the original question was about the government restrictions. My take is that it is similar to how we handle cherry on federal land here in the states.

Jarrah lumber is now all over the world, having been used by the British Empire in wharf/pier building. If the Brits ever sailed there, they took jarrah with them. Insect/decay/weather resistant, it makes great pilings and decking. It is also used for fence posts. And on top of all that it is really pretty wood. Flooring, trim, paneling and furniture. The gentleman I bought mine from had built a wrap around porch (T&G with interlocking corners all at a 5 degree rake) out of jarrah and finished it with tung oil. Beautiful!!!