Thread: edge sander optional equipment

edge sander optional equipment

I am about to order an edge sander from a manufacturer, they have a list of optional equipment, I have a SCM 43" wide belt sander but new to edge sander and not sure if I need some of the optional equipment? can someone who is experienced with edge sander give me some advice? I make solid wood furniture, this
    sander will be used to sand edges, curved component and anything I cant put through the WBS, below are the details:

machine base specSanding belt size 150 mm x 3200 mm

Motor 3 kW, 950 ot/min. 15 m/s. (3000 fpm)

Height adjustable sanding unit

Pneumatic sanding belt tensioning

Oscillating sanding unit

Work table length 2180 mm (86")

Work table width 1030 mm (41")

Exhausting in table, exhaust outlet Ø 150 mm

Optional equipment:

Motor 5,5 HP (4 kW)

Motor with brake

Sanding belt motor frequency inverter - speed 6 - 17m/s.

Motorized sanding unit height adjustment

Rubbered drive roller

Supporting ruler for sanding against the rubbered roller

Mitre fence

Exhaust hood with magnetic tips

Carriage - 2x revolving wheels, 2x fixed wheels

Custom machine colour

1. Do I need a 4kw upgrade? is 3kw enough for an edge sander? I work with pine, 90% of the time

2. Do I need a motor brake? I am guessing this not an emergency brake, is this beneficial on an edge sander?

3. Motorized sanding height adjustment, how often do you need to change the height? do you change the height so you can use the upper half of the sand paper not just the lower half?

4. Rubbered drive roller and supporting ruler to sand against rubbered roller, how important is a rubbered drive roller? is this so the drive roller can grab onto the sandpaper better than steel roller?

some of these optional equipment are not too $$$ but all add up...

Thank you for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Albert Lee; 04-22-2020 at 7:02 PM.

3 kw motor is plenty for a 6" belt. Speed control is good to avoid burning on sensitive woods. Manual height adjustment should be fine, you need height adjustment to use all the belt surface. Forget the motor brake. Rubber roller might be good, but I sand against a steel roller with ok results. Supporting ruler??? Miter gauge not a bad idea for sanding ends but a disc sander is better suited to fitting joints. I question how well the in-table dust collection will work, you may want the dust hood. Angle adjustable table would be nice. You might want to check out the Unilev style edge sanders.

had one forever, doing it again I would only buy one that oscillates.

I have a Kundig Uniq edge sander with most of the options. I like that it is a spindle sander as well. Also a support table for the roller/end of sander. The whole head oscillates and is programmable for height adjustment. The back side of the sander acts like a edge jointer. Did I say the head has electrical tilt? Make sure the sander you’re looking at has really good dust collection.
    Can’t imagine the need for a brake? It stops quickly.
    Almost every project I do gets to see the edge sander for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    3 kw motor is plenty for a 6" belt. Speed control is good to avoid burning on sensitive woods. Manual height adjustment should be fine, you need height adjustment to use all the belt surface. Forget the motor brake. Rubber roller might be good, but I sand against a steel roller with ok results. Supporting ruler??? Miter gauge not a bad idea for sanding ends but a disc sander is better suited to fitting joints. I question how well the in-table dust collection will work, you may want the dust hood. Angle adjustable table would be nice. You might want to check out the Unilev style edge sanders.
    Thanks Kevin

Your feedbackhelped tremendously, I think I have made up my mind what options I want (not "need", haha), cheers
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-23-2020 at 8:14 PM. Reason: Defaulted font so it's readable on larger screens

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    I have a Kundig Uniq edge sander with most of the options. I like that it is a spindle sander as well. Also a support table for the roller/end of sander. The whole head oscillates and is programmable for height adjustment. The back side of the sander acts like a edge jointer. Did I say the head has electrical tilt? Make sure the sander you’re looking at has really good dust collection.
    Can’t imagine the need for a brake? It stops quickly.
    Almost every project I do gets to see the edge sander for something.
    Thanks John

Kundig Uniqsander is really nice, I thought it looked more like part of a spaceship than asander… price tag surely feels like a spaceship compare to an average edge sander

I realized Ineed a good sander, I need it on almost everthin that I cut/plane, hence getting a slightly above average edge sander, thebelt is only 6” wide. I know 8” probably is better .
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-23-2020 at 8:14 PM. Reason: Defaulted font so it's readable on larger screens

+1 for the spindle sanding option. I just delivered one of our edge sanders to a local shop. After getting it installed, first thing they did was ask me to order the spindle sanding kit.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep