Thread: Built-in Bookcase

Built-in Bookcase

I've seen this question asked before but the responses seem to morph more into cabinets installed (feet, shims, etc).

In my case, I am finishing my basement and would like to do a built-in bookcase. The floor is concrete over vapor barrier and I have not had any moisture or water in 5 years since first building the house. My thought is to protect the built-in with a sheet of treated ply directly to the concrete and then build up from there.

Thoughts? Feedback? Has anyone done this, or have a better mouse trap?

Thanks!

This is a perfect place the use of plastic leveling legs.

I have not had any moisture or water in 5 years since first building the house.
    You haven't had a fire either, but I bet you've prepared for one nonetheless.

If you ever have a water issue the treated ply will be better than particle board or untreated, but you're still going to have wet soggy mess that'll be hard to dry out. With a leg system, you just remove and toss the front toekick and move on. They're also easier to install on less than flat concrete floors like typically found in basements.

My "built in" bookcase is not in the basement, but I did put it on a base made from 2x4s. Once the base was leveled, which was very easy, the bookcase was automatically leveled. The 2x4s were also exactly the height of my base molding which makes it look built in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Coffelt View Post
    The floor is concrete over vapor barrier and I have not had any moisture or water in 5 years since first building the house.
    Tape a 12" x 12" square of clear plastic to your basement floor with duct tape. Give it a couple of days and then check the plastic for moisture, you may be surprised.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Tape a 12" x 12" square of clear plastic to your basement floor with duct tape. Give it a couple of days and then check the plastic for moisture, you may be surprised.
    Yes, thank you for the suggestion, but this has already been done. No moisture as I mentioned.

The 2x4 suggestion is a good one, thanks, I think I'll give that a try.

Most built-ins start their existence in the concept of a humble kitchen cabinet. In which case, I would use a ladder-type base (2x4's on edge) to form a stable and level platform and then mount your plywood cabinet onto the base. Cover up the base and overlap a double ply cabinet base with simple 3" base molding.
    Regards,

Tom