Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Go To Bandsaw Blade Size

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Like others said, what are you cutting with your bandsaw? The blade I almost always use wouldn't be useful to some people.

I cut a lot of thick wood up to 12", wet and dry. For me a 12" 3-tpi blade is perfect. Someone making a bandsaw box wouldn't use it.
    Where do you buy your 12" 3 tpi blades? I've heard of 12" table saw blades, can't quite picture a 12" bandsaw blade. I'm guessing it's made by Typo Bandsaw Blades, is it a bimetal blade with the teeth made of unubtainium?

Sorry, couldn't help it, blame it on the virus, I assume you meant 1/2"?

2. 99% of the time my Laguna lt18 3000, bandsaw is fitted with a Laguna Resaw King 1.25" 2-3tpi carbide blade. I use it for everything aside from tight curves (don't cut curves often) because I'm lazy. It's great for resawing but works great for every straight cut - although it probably is wasteful using it for everything. Did I mention I was lazy.

Cheers, Dom

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    . For me a 12" 3-tpi blade is perfect. Someone making a bandsaw box wouldn't use it.
    Hope you meant 1/2". When I toured the lumber mill they were using 8"-12" bandsaw blades, however.

1/2" 3 TPI for me on an 18" saw. 1/4" 6 TPI on a 10" saw. The big saw does some resawing and straight cutting, and large curves. I have a 1" blade but it takes a bigger kerf and does not leave a smoother surface. When I'm resawing it's to build instruments, so I often need to be able to bookmatch, or when I am resawing a guitar fretboard blank into a banjo fretboard blank and a 1/16" thick piece to use as a pinstripe in a neck I also want as little kerf as possible.

I keep a 3/8" 4tpi on my 14" Delta, and a 3/16" which is something like 10 or 14tpi on my 10" Delta.

1" 1.3 on 24", 3/8" 4 on 14", 1/4" 6 on one 10", 1/8" high count on other 10" with Carter Stabilizer. I go to whichever one does the type of cut I need to do.

I keep a 1/2" 3tpi blade on my 14" Delta saw over 90% of the time. I'll switch when I need to cut small curves.

All I use are 1/4 6tpi hook blades. Have one on my 20" rockwell and my 14" delta. Haven't found anything it can't do.