Thread: New shop getting close

New shop getting close

After many years of dreaming and drawing plans for a new shop, the project is close to being a reality. I live in the mountains and the sloping lot presented sone challenges. The shop will be 24’x36’ with 9’ walls and scissor trusses for ceiling/roof. Using drywall for walls, 200amp panel, LED lights, and mini-split system for Heat and A/C. The construction process began about a year ago, hopefully It will be done in 3-4 weeks. One decision that I am still on the fence about is the floor covering. In my current shop I use the rubber floor mats spread out around work areas. I looked into the snap together composite floor tiles. Got a quote from Racedeck and came back at close to $4k for the garage. Seems vey expensive, and do not know how comfortable it is to stand on all day. Leaning towards the old cheap rubber mats. Attached are pics
    D991B832-856C-4A18-A894-70217E2343F7.jpg2A9C8C07-0BDE-4586-98E4-6016C5FC7584.jpgD6D30E79-410C-48F2-BD0C-E1B3532034FF.jpgFCE0D97E-64F6-43CC-8316-2D18F823468C.jpgC731821A-436E-4374-89B9-2E9D306DB328.jpg0E8A5626-8BBD-42B8-ABBD-FDC337220507.jpgB36DA9CB-47BD-4BE6-ABA8-711B01CE85E0.jpg

That's a very nice shop! The setting in the woods is even better!

Man, that's going to be great! And I love the setting, out in your woods.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Well, that's quite a first post!

I'm curious...The hillside is steep, and there's a lot of airspace below the shop floor. But you don't seem to have access to it? Or is it mostly filled with support for what looks like a concrete shop floor?

Blog Entries
    Welcome and congratulations. Way to step up to the challenge of your location. This is a well timed post as I am lamenting the delays in getting my next shop stood up. I am on relatively flat open ground with much easier access. Thank you for resetting my 'aggravation' switch; I have nothing to complain about. On the other hand my neighbors aren't close but, I can see their houses. I am envious of your location. Keep us in the loop on your progress.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wow...really nice and I like how you were able to insert the building into the landscape in a comfortable way.

On your floor situation...a wood floor will be generally comfortable and you can supplement with anti-fatigue mats in areas where you will be standing most of the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The shop will be a woodshop for my purposes. But in the interest to resale I thought that I needed to make it possible to use as a garage, this the concrete floor. The area below is filled with gravel, a lot of gravel.

You can overlay a wood floor on sleepers if you want to for your purposes and it would be easily removed if a future owner wanted the space for a vehicle. Aside from that...horse stall mats. Reasonable in price and dense enough that you can roll equipment over it. Put them in BEFORE you put in. your equipment so it's a full open floor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I put down sleepers, dow board insulation and t&g flooring over my concrete floor. Would be a lot easier before bringing in your woodworking machinery. I jacked mine up and moved things around as I laid the flooring. Huge improvement over concrete. Easier to heat the shop, and more comfortable working. I spend a lot of time in the shop.

climate? extra words to fill up space

I can’t help you out on the flooring but I do know you have a great shop on a beautiful piece of property.