Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Value of Used Unisaw

Blog Entries

Value of Used Unisaw

I'm upgrading my table saw from a Craftsaman 3hp 113 series contractor saw I bought new over 20 years ago.

I have come across a 4 year old Delta Unisaw 5 hp (I think it is a 36-L536 and will be going to see it soon) with Biesemeyer fence and 52" rip capacity that I can purchase for $1600 with the mobile base.

I see a lot of posts indicating buying a Unisaw for around $500.

What is a reasonable price for a used Delta Unisaw?

Location, single or three phase. For that price I would buy a Sawstop.
    Bill D.
    USA

New , that saw was 3200.00. 16 is fair but a 500.00 uni with a bies would work as well. Just won't have a front tilt. Key is tuning the saw.

Keep in mind that around about 2012(?), Delta made radical changes to their Unisaw design, and the cost went up appreciably. These saws have both blade height and blade tilt adjustments on the front of the saw cabinet, and the mechanism inside is quite different.

Earlier Unisaws had the tilt adjustment on the side of the cabinet, and the height adjustment on the front, and had not changed significantly mechanically for ~70 years, up until the new version came out.

Mine is an early 1990's Unisaw that I purchased new, and have enjoyed ever since. 3HP 1ph, w/52" Unifence & 3rd party mobile base, for which I think I paid around $1500.

I don't recall when Delta moved Unisaw mfg offshore, but it was well after mine was built, and I believe before the new version was introduced.

Most $500 used Unisaws are the older design, and often not in ready to run condition. Occasionally, you can find R2R Unisaws for that price (and folks that catch those deals are eager to brag about them), but not that often, particularly near larger cities with more potential buyers.

Some folks say a reasonable price is half of new (what is costs today). Some say half of what it cost when it was purchased. If it is in like-new condition, the price will often be a little higher than that. Sellers often want to compare to new prices, but they are not willing to offer a warranty either.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

The newer version of the Unisaw isn't exactly a winner, when most people at that price point would buy a Saw Stop.

No way I’d pay $1600 for it, whether it’s worth it based on the half of new formula or not.

I keep hearing stories about the lack of repair parts from Delta, so I would want to learn more about that before spending that much on one of the new-style Unisaws. Especially since Grizzly has some nice saws in the price range. I wouldn't be as worried about parts for the original Unisaw because there are so many of them out there that most parts are available used.

I sold a 5HP single phase Unisaw a few years ago for $1,200 (if I remember correctly). It was in very good condition and had a fence.

But I agree with the other people who said you'd be better off adding a bit of money and buying a SawStop PCS. You'll get a lifetime saw and some protection for your fingers. And SawStop provides good technical support and service.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    I'm upgrading my table saw from a Craftsaman 3hp 113 series contractor saw I bought new over 20 years ago.

I have come across a 4 year old Delta Unisaw 5 hp (I think it is a 36-L536 and will be going to see it soon) with Biesemeyer fence and 52" rip capacity that I can purchase for $1600 with the mobile base.

I see a lot of posts indicating buying a Unisaw for around $500.

What is a reasonable price for a used Delta Unisaw?

Hi Eric-

Others have hit the big points.

Unisaws have been manufactured since the 1930's and as you can imagine have gone through a lot of evolution over that time.

The $500 saws are likely older, and likely need a lot of TLC to bring them up to snuff.

Converting from the older factory fence to a modern Biesemeyer or equivalent will be at least a couple hundred alone.

That same 35-L536 is available for $2900 from Amazon (includes free shipping) or Home depot for $2600 (probably not free shipping).

Or check Craigs List; you'll see a broad range from rusted junk to good condition.

5HP is almost certainly 220V; are you set up for that? If not then check out the cost to upgrade your electrical service.

Also consider how you will get any of these options into your workshop; Two men can easily put a Craftsman 113-series saw almost anywhere. A large cabinet saw is likely going to be a lot tougher, especially if you need to get it down into a basement.

And consider the Sawstop... probably double the price but it provides significantly improved safety. Be sure to get your spouse's input on that too..

Enjoy the journey and report back what you decide to do...

-T

PS -- I have a '60s vintage 113-series C-man contractor saw... it was my dad's. When I brought it home I added some cast iron side extensions, tuned it up and had the arbor turned my a local machine shop. With a good blade it has easily cut everything I have thrown at it. But it is still just a consumer-grade contractor saw, and I lust for a cabinet saw. So far, I've stuck with it because of the cost, but maybe someday....

The OP's $1600 Unisaw is a full cabinet saw with a 5 hp motor, 50" rip fence, and mobility kit. A comparable new Sawstop is over $4K, and still needs sales tax and shipping. If you can find a used Sawstop like that for $1600, then there would be a choice to make. But otherwise, talking about it is only speculation.

Geoff's concern about the current Delta's ability to provide spare parts is worth thinking about. The current Delta company is not the old one. However, table saws are simple machines (aside from Sawstop), and aren't likely to need repair parts. I've had my table saw for over 40 years, and it has never needed a repair part.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the input!
    It is a single phase 5 hp saw.
    It sounds like it is a fair price but not a steal.
    The Grizzly is what I was looking at but with tax will be $300-$400 more.
    The Sawstop I had looked at were a lot more but I’ll take another look.

Being the newer design and based on it's age it is probably worth $1,600. However you should probably offer $1,400 and see if the buyer will take it. When you look at it be sure to note every blemish down as you look at it and be sure to check that the blade is square, the extension table is flat and not warped. Anything you find that will need some work to fix is a reason for the owner to drop the price.

I purchased my Delta 36-L31X X5 Unisaw with 52" Beisemeyer fence brand new in February 2004 for $1,864. It is in great shape and I would not part with it for less than $1,200 even though it is 16 years old.

Eric, that sounds like a good price to me. If the saw has been well cared for, it's well worth the money.

If you don't care for the extension table on it for some reason, I have one in top shape with a router plate installed that I've been looking to find a home for.

Blog Entries
    I knew there wasn’t a black and white answer but all of you have helped a lot. I am good electrically and already have the 30 amp 240 VAC circuit in place.
    @Bob - I am interested in changing that out. Let me know what you have available!

I think that’s a good deal. Try to bargain down but if everything works, I’d take it. It’s a fair price.
    Regards,

Tom

I have a 15 year old 3hp unisaw I bought new, paid 1000 for, not a x5, which was a warranty. My local hardware called Delta, and they advised what model to buy to get the best deal on. Good saw, but no riving Knife. If I were to buy a new Grizzly, would get the 1023 model made in Taiwan, and less costly than the 691 made in China.