Thread: Help with dating a No. 6 Stanley Bailey

Help with dating a No. 6 Stanley Bailey

My brother picked up this No. 6 for me over the weekend and sent me the attached photos. Can y'all help me with dating this plane? The tote is broken, and it's dirty and has some paint drips, but still in good shape otherwise. Let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Raised ring under the front knob.
    One patent date.
    Points to a Type 14

http://www.rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm

Thanks for that and thanks for the link. Hopefully I can identify others with it. Appreciate it Mr. Gillard.

Jim,

I think you have a type 14. Go to the RexMill.com site on hand planes. The knob has a raised ring around it, as best as I can see from your photos. The type 14 was the first to have that. The type 14 is the first to have the raised ring, and it has a single patent date in front of the tote, Apr 19 10. The only plane that meets those two criteria is the type 14, 1929 to 1930.

Photos of the front knob area and the logo on the iron would have helped.

Regards,

Stew

Hi Stu,

You beat me by a few minutes. Your post wasn't there when I started the write up. Good Job.

Regards,

Stew

t

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hoti View Post
    Thanks for that and thanks for the link. Hopefully I can identify others with it. Appreciate it Mr. Gillard.

Should clean up to be a nice plane.

My number 6 is an English version. We don't seem to get a whole heap of the US versions over here.

Stu,

I just looked over the plane photos carefully, and agree. It should clean up to be a very nice plane.

By the way, how old is your #6, are there pretty old English ones around, and if so are the old ones as loved like our US made ones?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Stu,

I just looked over the plane photos carefully, and agree. It should clean up to be a very nice plane.

By the way, how old is your #6, are there pretty old English ones around, and if so are the old ones as loved like our US made ones?

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    I'm guessing mine is from the 40's or 50's.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, the older English planes have good bones and work well.
    I do like rosewood handles and knobs though. Mine is stained Beech although some of the earlier versions did have Rosewood.

1.jpg

Hi Stu,

Your Stanley #6 looks pretty good. I have a Stanley Bailey #5, type 19, that I think may have been made in the mid 1950s, that belonged to my dad. It does not have the machine screw frog adjustment feature, but I think maybe the earlier type 19s did have that. Thus I am wondering if the English Stanley plane are like the US Stanley planes, that yours may be more likely made in the 30s or 40s. That said I don't know.

At any rate a very nice plane.

Thanks and regards,

Stew