Thread: Lie Nielsen Shooting Board Plane?

Lie Nielsen Shooting Board Plane?

While ordering some Lie Nielsen tools today I noticed they make a shooting board plane similar to the one made by Veritas. I've always used a 5 1/2 but was wondering if there was any benefits to a dedicated plane for this task. The skewed angle on the blade seems like a good idea. Since I'm thinking of getting how does the Veritas compare?

I have the Veritas. It seemed like an extravagance at the time but it was money well spent. I work primarily with hand tools but was using a table saw for precise cross cuts. Now I use an antique miter box or a bench hook and true things up on my shooting board. It's quicker, quieter, and more accurate. The slewed blade peels off end grain easy peasy.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    It is more difficult to find the Veritas shooting plane on the revamped Lee Valley web site. (hint, use the search function.)

However it is $144 less expensive, plus right now there is free shipping.

The LN plane may only be available with A1 steel for the blade. The Veritas has a choice between their own PMv11 or O1 steel. The A1 tends to be chippy at lower bevel angles.

The LV copy for this plane:

A bevel-up plane, it has a bed skewed 20° to reduce cut resistance and make a shearing cut that leaves a clean finish on end grain. Combined with the 12° bed angle and 25° blade bevel, this yields an effective cutting angle of 35°.
    The LN copy does not mention the skew angle. It does mention their shooting plane utilizes a standard frog. This implies their plane is attacking at a higher angle.

When shaving end grain, the lower angle of attack on the Veritas plane will make a difference in effort needed.

My recent purchase of a Veritas Shooting Plane has me very satisfied. Though my use of it has been rather limited. It amazed me at how it was easy going through some ash leaving a nice smooth surface.

It came with the PMv11 blade and an O1 blade should be arriving soon. For some reason it just seemed like a good idea to have two blades.

During an LN Tool Event held in Portland, Oregon the LN #51 Shooting Plane was given a test drive. It was impressive, but it didn't sway me from purchasing the Veritas Shooting Plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am fortunate to have owned and used the classic and famous Stanley #51/52 shooting plane and board for many years. Both the LN #51 and Veritas shooting plane are based on the Stanley, with the LN an almost direct copy (but with much improved frog), and the Veritas (as usual) bringing in improvements and modernisations.

The LN came along first and I purchased it in 2011. This was reviewed here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tingPlane.html

The Veritas followed two years later. This one came to live with me as a result of being involved with the pre-production testing I have done with Lee Valley over the years. It was reviewed here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tingPlane.html

They are both superb planes. I like the familiar and classic looks of the LN, and would be happy if it was the only shooting plane I owned. However, the Veritas is the better plane, particularly with it bevel up orientation for shooting end grain.

One of the requirements for a shooting board, when using either of these planes, became apparent from using the Stanley #52 shooting board: the rear handle makes the plane unstable without a side fence. Consider getting the Veritas shooting board at. the same time, or building something with a side fence.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the L-N 51 used on a home made shooting board.

The weight is very useful and shooting 1" end grain is no problem. My 5 1/2 used to struggle with stuff over 5/8".

The skew blade makes for a softer entry to the timber at the start of the cut.

I hummed and haa'd for quite a while before making the purchase, but it is in constant use. The students love it for preparing stock for dovetailing.

I have not had a chance to use the Veritas, but am totally satisfied with the L-N.

Best wishes,
    David

When LN came out with the 51 repro I could have cried. I bought a pre-production #9 and could not justify swapping out my #9 for the 51, but I can dream!

Chris,

You can sell your #9 on eBay for close to or more than the price of the LN shooting plane. I’ve seen them go for $400-$700 depending on condition.

After reading Derek's reviews I felt motivated enough to try one of the mentioned shooting planes. The Veritas was temporarily out of stock at LV but LN had one right hand version in stock so I ordered it. I'm also motivated in building a new shooting board, the captured side type that Derek mentioned. I'll create another thread with some ideas on a shooting board similar to the Stanley #52.

One of the things that doesn't make complete sense to me when looking at the advantage of a skewed cut angle is .... doesn't the skewed angle introduce more blade length to the cut thereby creating more effort to move through it? It seems a right angle cut would be more efficient. No doubt the blade length is less when first making contact with the wood but at full penetration shouldn't the force necessary to move through it be greater? Or am I missing something here?

More of the blade is in contact with the wood, but you're still cutting through the same amount of wood so the force per inch (or whatever unit length) along the edge is lower. Plus the skew lowers the effective cutting angle which reduces the amount of force required to cut through the same amount of wood.

I believe that the skewed blade results in more of a shearing cut rather than a full-on 90 deg assault. But, a sharp sharp blade combined with a whisper thin setting on a square set blade also works just fine. I have been shooting a lot lately and haven't felt the need for a real heavy plane that gets its momentum up to complete a shave as is described by folks that set a #6 or something similar up for dedicated shooting. No doubt in my mind that I would use a purpose manufactured shooting plane if I had one (I like skewed blades), just haven't moved that expenditure higher up the list. Lately, wooden planes of various types have been sucking up the loose cash.
    David

It is not just a shearing cut with the skewed blade, but also the progressive entry into the wood. This is the reason for using a ramped board with a square blade. Both examples reduce the jar at impact and make for smoother end grain planing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Today was my second use of my Veritas Shooting Plane. It amazed me even though it was set for a fairly heavy shaving, ~0.003" for end grain on some holly.

It also leaves a much smoother cut than even my sharpest bevel down bench plane. It certainly causes less blowout after forgetting to chamfer the end.

My camera was left out in the shop or images would have been posted, maybe tomorrow.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I want pictures Jim!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Chris,

You can sell your #9 on eBay for close to or more than the price of the LN shooting plane. I’ve seen them go for $400-$700 depending on condition.
    Yeah that's my retirement plan, sell my LN planes and saws and buy an island! But until that time me and the #9 are a team. Thanks for pointing out eBay to me!