Thread: Hammer K3 Winner Question

Hammer K3 Winner Question

I'm considering a second hand K3 Winner and with no experience with Euro sliders I was hoping to get an opinion from users with firsthand experience. The saw I'm looking at experiences a motor "hum" when shutting down. After the brake stops the blade the motor "hums" for an additional ~ 8 seconds before shutting off completely. The owner says he spoke to a Felder tech rep who told him this is normal and in spec up to 15 seconds after shutdown. He also says there is some kind of adjustment on the motor to limit the on-time after shutting it down.

The owner of the saw admittedly bought it about a year ago and never used it so he really doesn't know anything about it. He spoke to Felder after I inspected the saw and noted the "hum", that is when Felder told him it is "normal". I noticed the first time he turned it on he did not let the saw come up to speed before shutting it down, again; something he didn't know about.

Does this sound right or is this a real issue?

TIA,

Kevin

Mine does the same thing. Kind of like it’s powering down.

It sounds like a stalled motor or how my 1.75hp Jet table saw sounds when trying to rip 8/4 hard maple, but perhaps that's the point. I assume the brake has engaged, blade has stopped and the motor is still drawing current for some amount of time before it cuts power. Seems dangerous but I'm sure there is a good reason for it.

If it's what I think it is, that's normal. That's a safety feature- dynamic braking of the motor to slow it down quickly. My Felder and my Minimax both did it. It stays on longer so that if you have a heavier blade (dado cutter for example), it'll continue to brake long enough to bring it to a stop. Probably stems from a safety requirement in Europe.

Yep. That’s normal. This happened on 2 different Hammer K3’s I’ve owned.

As others have said, that's the DC injection braking stopping the motor. It runs for longer than required to brake a saw blade because the machine has to meet EU requirements for braking time with applicable tooling.

The US machines accept a dado or grooving tool so the machine has to brake a shaper type adjustable groover in the time frame...........Rod.

Thanks fellas...this really helps.

Is $2600 for the 48" K3 (less scoring) with 5 Hammer supplied blades and the big dado stack reasonable second hand price?

Yes I think it is

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M Conway View Post
    Thanks fellas...this really helps.

Is $2600 for the 48" K3 (less scoring) with 5 Hammer supplied blades and the big dado stack reasonable second hand price?