Thread: Wall Hugger Self Cleaning Blast Gate Design

Wall Hugger Self Cleaning Blast Gate Design

I wanted to make a blast gate that would hug the wall within about an inch and be self cleaning. This idea has worked out very well. The gate pushes clear through to clean out the gap and the loose sheet metal blocks the gap when the dust collector is on.

wallhugger.jpg
    labels2.jpg

Very clever! Great idea!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Nice idea! Mine leak a bit when I'm using the DC. Had to do that to keep them from getting jammed up with swarf.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I just made the slider twice as long and drilled a hole in one end. Yes there is some leakage on both ends but only when open.
    Bill D.

5. I had a similar problem and came up with a little different solution. I just made the slide reversible on mine and pull the slide out and put the other end in first to open or close it. Another way would be to use two slides one with a hole and one blank if you didn't want a slide sticking out the front or top. Pictured is a quick and dirty prototype I made from scrap. I intended it to just be a proof of concept, but it works so well i may never get around to making a nicer one.
    Gate-Closed.jpg
    Gate-Closed.jpg

I use Rockler's blast gate brackets, and commercially made self cleaners, so slide is mounted perpendicular to to wall. My DC runs for ten seconds after machine cuts off, so pipes clear themselves

I do not see why this is any closer to the wall then any other standard design?
    Bill