Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Favorite Planes

Stanley SH #6 and LN 60 1/2 block plane.

I have to cheat here, I mean two favourite planes? C'mon. There's no doubt that my LN 102s see every job and they fit in my hands so well. If I could have only one bench plane it would be my LN #7 as it can do everything. There's something about taming a huge slab with my LN scrub plane. Reaching for my Butt Mortise plane on site work installing doors always makes me smile. And of course I must mention my little LN 1/2" bronze infill shoulder plane, when there's joinery going on it's a trusty sidekick.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    I have to cheat here, I mean two favourite planes? C'mon. There's no doubt that my LN 102s see every job and they fit in my hands so well. If I could have only one bench plane it would be my LN #7 as it can do everything. There's something about taming a huge slab with my LN scrub plane. Reaching for my Butt Mortise plane on site work installing doors always makes me smile. And of course I must mention my little LN 1/2" bronze infill shoulder plane, when there's joinery going on it's a trusty sidekick.
    So in other words, whichever are working for you at the moment, are your favorites? I guess, I resemble that statement!

Maybe we ought to have a thread "what planes do you wish you never purchased"? For me, I guess my Stanley #6 and my LN small chisel plane (or is it the Woodriver 9-1/2 block plane-just too dayam uncomfortable).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    [edited]
    Maybe we ought to have a thread "what planes do you wish you never purchased"? For me, I guess my Stanley #6 and my LN small chisel plane (or is it the Woodriver 9-1/2 block plane-just too dayam uncomfortable).
    It is done.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I do believe my two most favorite planes are a Stanley type 11 #5 with a replacement LV iron and chipbreaker, and my LV shooting plane. Without those, I might as well take up knitting.

LN#4, Veritas BUJack. Nothing magical about either, but they've figured out how to work well in my hands. I like 'em heavy.

#7 and block plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    So in other words, whichever are working for you at the moment, are your favorites? I guess, I resemble that statement!

Guilty as charged. Oh did I mention the 98 & 99 that come in handy once in a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Guilty as charged. Oh did I mention the 98 & 99 that come in handy once in a while?
    98 & 99? My dear wife has an issue (I refuse to correct!) of searching my shop with either a LV or a LN catalog to see what I don't have! That's how I got a LN 98 & 99 (I do use them once in a while and they are useful when needed) but she also got me spare blades for each! I told her I would have to live to 200 years of age, woodworking constantly, to wear out the stock blades!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Tony - go buy some flowers! You are a very lucky man. My wife says “don’t you already have one of those” or “you can borrow that from Joe or John, right?”. The downside to marrying a woman whose dad taught her what tool was what...

I guess it would be the LN 102 Bronze and the LN #7 if I had to absolutely choose. The LV Shooting plane is a close 3rd but I would true up most ends with my block plane if I had to. Overall I genuinely use almost all of my planes all of the time except a 2 or 3.

Blog Entries
    My Stanley #8 jointer gets used almost every project – don't know how I would glue up panels without it. I also love my Lee Valley shooting plane. As a 95% hand tool guy it also gets used on virtually every piece in a project.

If there's a fire, I'm grabbing my grandfathers Disston #7 crosscut saw with his initials engraved in the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    [...]

Attachment 432589

What are your two indispensable planes?

ken
    LN bevel up block and Jack planes. Jack plane with four different blades.

For me the choice was easy: besides those two LN planes I have only two very cheap planes.

LN #4 and any one of my LN block planes.

Today, these 2: Union #8 and Stanley #4
    .IMG_1683.jpg