Thread: Can waterstone be glued together?

Can waterstone be glued together?

I have a Suehiro 6000 grit waterstone, not particularly expensive, white, kinda hard but it leaves a nice edge on both simple and A2 steels. It came glued to a plastic base that, it turns out, is flexible. I just discovered that the stone is cracked all the way through about 3” from the end.

Can this be epoxied together and still be functional? If so, I will try to salvage it and put it on a stiff base.

Blog Entries
    The epoxy isn't likely to wear away at the same rate as the stone. Can it still work as is?

One of my oilstones has a crack and sometimes it is still used as if there wasn't a crack.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks, Jim.
    In the meantime, I found that google can be my friend and that the Schwarz has already answered this question.https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...rpening-stone/

I repaired two broken Shapton stones (not at the same time). I used epoxy to glue them together and then glued each stone to a cheap stone that I had. One of them got glued to that useless Norton flattening stone. Other one, I don't remember. There's no problem with the glue line on the stone - it appears to be softer than the stone and it's very thin.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-13-2020 at 9:45 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Yes they can. For a cracked stone, or for hairline cracks in a stone that is still holding togehter I have used CA glue, of a low-viscosity type. (small tubes super-glue from any store). It penetrates well, creeps into the crack and I have not noticed any problem with the glue line when sharpening. Even for straight razors. Normal lapping will keep the glueline level with the surface.

I have also used epoxy for glueing stones together. One of my first waterstones was the 3k/8k naniwa superstone combo. I noticed it bent to and fro with the wetting/drying cycles. This was again for razor honing, where superflat stones seemed important. So I split the two sides apart, and reglued them with epoxy, but this time with a very hard and stiff piece of floor tile in between. Worked very well and they dont move anymore. But small cracks have appeared in stead and now I think I should have left them as thin single stones instead...

I would look that the stone is completely dry before glueing.

Good luck.

I've done it with my Lily White Arkansas stone.

West Systems 5 minute epoxy.
    Nearly 4 years it's lasted.

You might need a little more time resurfacing, as the epoxy "spreads" when honed.

Yes, gluing works well.

I have used both epoxy and polyurethane. The glue lines seem to make no impact on flatness of surface.

In my teaching workshop we get through stones quite fast so laminating them saves money!