Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plane Storage?

Here is a better pic of my utility bench that shows tool storage drawers. The planes live in the top and middle drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    That actually might be what I end up doing... I'm thinking about it now. Rolling cart with multiple levels (drawers) might just be the best of both worlds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(I've got probably 20 planes or so at this point.)
    They can hold a lot, but not 20 planes if you want to keep other stuff. Being in the Air Force I move a lot, so I've tried (key word tried) to limit my tools to what I need/use. I think I optimized the space and have LN No's 2, 3, 4 1/2, 8, 62 and a couple block planes along with a variety of Veritas specialty planes. Now that I add them up, I realize I have 16. I managed to get all my chisels, boring tools, panel/tenon/dovetail saws, marking/measuring and other stuff in it without being cluttered. The stuff I don't use much is kept in a cabinet. I also use power tools, so maybe that has helped limit my hand tools as well.

I've read the book and watched the build video (numerous times) of the Anarchist's Tool Chest. It looks cool. And I am a sucker for traditionalism.
    Me too, I had intended to build an English chest like the Anarchist's tool chest, but I lucked into buying a 19th Century tool chest, filled with tools. Nearly a "complete" set. The tools were in great shape overall and so I used them for a couple of years. But I got tired of sliding tills around to get at what I needed, so eventually I just left out of the chest the things I used most often. That's what I like about the Dutch Tool Chest. If you keep the most often used tools in the open till (and it will hold most of what I need) then it's easy to work out of. When I'm done with a Jack plane, for example, I can put it back in the chest as easily as I could on a shelf under the bench. At the end of the day just close the lid and I'm done! (once I build the lid, that is).

DC

I like to have my hand planes either on their sides or directly accessible close to or above the workbench I am at. Pics describe it better. The center part (infill) of the image with two cabinets was added a few months ago (newly acquired planes) as was the other standalone plane cabinet. I decided on no doors for these plane cabinet additions. Not entirely sure that cabinet doors are necessary if access needs to be regular. Although doors do keep the dust off.
    IMG_0096-1600.jpg HandPlaneCabinet.jpg
    Last edited by Norman Pirollo; 05-18-2020 at 11:15 AM.

If you're keen on a floor chest, a trial is in order. I found having a hinged lid to be annoying.

It inevitably became a place to stack things. Before building one, find a blanket chest on Craigslist to test the approach. Stanley makes a large(r) 24 gallon rolling cart that emulates a side chest.

http://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/i...er/14C632_AS01

I out-grew 2 chests. Got tired of bending over, and digging through to get one tool out. Besides, the shop does have a bad problem, besides being in the basement....
    Dungeon Creek, looking downstream.JPG
    When we have a day or two of heavy rain....the Dungeon Creek rises.

However, IF one is deadset on using a chest...
    Old tool chest, outside.JPG
    Stop by, and pick this one up...free...
    Old tool chest, inside view.JPG
    I'll even throw in the 2 trays..
    Old tool chest, slider tray.JPG
    And the tote...
    Old tool chest, spider tote.JPG

Back when this was new...
    tool chest #2 opened.jpg
    IMAG0019.JPG
    Tool Chest #1, from Walnut, and pine...
    IMAG0008.JPG
    Is now serving as the Boss' Blanket Chest....trays and tote were removed, first. 2 things wrong with the lids.....was just the right height for my knee cap to hit....and..always had to move a bunch of stuff off the lid to open it up.

I have a trestle base for my bench and I built a cabinet to fit in the trestle. The cabinet has storage for chisels and planes etc. in dedicated drawers. I also have two rolling cabinets that fit under the bench top overhangs at each end and they contain, you guessed it more chisels, planes, spokeshaves and what have you. I can roll them out and do glue ups on them if needed. This set up with a few tool boards on the wall has all of my hand tools right in the bench zone which is so handy. I have found that the tools in the cabinets are free from rust over the years and our spring, summer and falls can be humid.