Thread: Nova Comet II Belt slippage.

Nova Comet II Belt slippage.

I saw an old 2013 post here that the Nova Comet II had low speed belt slippage problems. Its 2020 now and I was wondering if it still does have those problems because I have one on the way. If it does I guess I'll have to decline it and order the Jet.

Thanks,
    Paul

My daughter has one and has had no problems with the belt. Hers is one of the original ones... I thought it was about 5 years now but maybe it is 7; time flies.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I had one of the early Comet II and do not think that they changed the pully/belt system. The small diameter for the slow speed pully and the narrow belt do not provide enough belt contact to deliver the power for the slow speed drive. The newer Comet 14 has a slightly larger slow speed pully and wider belt to improve the power but it is a 2 speed system and I was not impressed with performance when trying out the new model. The mid range and high speed on the Comet II did an adequate job for that weight lathe. One of its advantages is the lighter weight if you have to take it somewhere or move around shop. I now have a Rikon 70-220VS for a midi lathe and am very happy with its performance and ridgidity

Thanks all. I returned the Nova because I just didn't want to take a chance.