Thread: Bandsaw tracking issue

Bandsaw tracking issue

I have a Rikon 14" bandsaw Model 10-325 that I bought used. I can't get the blade to track on the wheels. I have backed off on the guides, but after I get the 1/2" blade on the wheel, rotate the wheel by hand, it comes off the wheel towards the inside. I have backed the tracking knob out, run it all the way in, still same result. Any suggestions ?

To make the blade come to the outside of the wheel, is the tracking knob supposed to be turned into the machine or backed out from the machine? I am flummoxed!!

When you turn the tracking knob, does it cause the top wheel to tilt front-to-back? If not, then there's probably something something bent or not working correctly in the tilt/tracking assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    When you turn the tracking knob, does it cause the top wheel to tilt front-to-back? If not, then there's probably something something bent or not working correctly in the tilt/tracking assembly.

I can’t tell if it does anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe McMahon View Post
    I can’t tell if it does anything.
    Could your wheels be out of alignment? In particular, the lower wheel may need to be adjusted. I had to do that on mine. From my manual: "If the blade is not running true, or it is not running on center of the lower wheel but is correct on the upper wheel, then an adjustment to the wheel hub on the rear of the bandsaw is required."

I have an 18" Rikon and from the parts diagram from your saw it looks like the adjustments are similar. However, I can't see where the manual for the 14" saw has the instructions for adjustments. The 14" saw manual only says to call Rikon for support. The manual for my 18" saw has two pages on this with pictures and good instructions.

BTW, on my saw turning the adjustment knob (on the back of the upper cabinet) counter clockwise moves the blade towards the door of the cabinet. A tiny bit of adjustment makes a big difference. I install the blade, back off the guides, and adjust the knob while turning by hand. If yours adjustment doesn't work, something basic is wrong, broken, bent, or possibly just stuck. You might try calling Rikon or just disassemble things and look for a problem. Maybe the previous owner tried to use blades too large and overtensioned the saw.

Someone once reported another potential problem with these saws - he said the alignment adjustment knob worked by pressing a shaft against a piece of soft steel and over time it would wear or distort the steel such that the adjustment quit working. He said he fixed it by inserting a hardened steel plate. I never took my 18" saw apart to verify this and see if a problem was developing. Mine has worked fine so far (with years of use). Perhaps he was using larger blades which required much more force than the 1/2" blades I use. Might be something to take a look at.

JKJ

John, thank you. I will go at it again this afternoon using your information.

Joe

Have you tried another blade and did it have the same results?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I did not but that will hap[pen before I do anything else.

Again, thank you!