Thread: Boring hole for kitchen cabinet doors

Boring hole for kitchen cabinet doors

Hi,

I am doin a kitchen reface with new cabinet doors. The site only offers to bore 35mm holes 3mm from the edge of the door.

My cabinets are frameless so it is a 3/4" overlay. I'm planning to use blum hinges for frameless. However, from this chart here (https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/im...ay%20table.jpg)

overlay.jpg

, it seems I need to bore the hole 6mm from the edge.. So I have to buy a kit and do it myyself instead of having the door maker drill it at their default 3mm?

Am I reading the chart right? I do need to bore a hole 6mm from the edge, to achieve th 3/4" overlay for frameless cabinets?

Tony I have only used this chart once recently so I may be wrong. For 19mmm you need your door hinge hole 6mm from the edge and a 0 plate on your hinge fingers crossed I have it correct

I build mostly frameless cabinetry so I'll try and help. First off I'm thinking that you don't really want 3/4" overlay assuming you have 3/4" boxes, your doors/ drawer fronts will rub. Usually you'd have 5/8" overlay or 11/16" if you're trying to achieve tighter reveals. I usually go with 11/16" to create 1/8" reveals between 2 cabinets. 5/8" on end of run cabinets. Really just planning door sizes is most important. Either way I keep my Blum boring machine set at 22mm for most applications. 22mm is the center of the bore which puts the bore 4.5mm from the edge. The hinges have plenty of adjustment to go either way from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Conover View Post
    I build mostly frameless cabinetry so I'll try and help. First off I'm thinking that you don't really want 3/4" overlay assuming you have 3/4" boxes, your doors/ drawer fronts will rub. Usually you'd have 5/8" overlay or 11/16" if you're trying to achieve tighter reveals. I usually go with 11/16" to create 1/8" reveals between 2 cabinets. 5/8" on end of run cabinets. Really just planning door sizes is most important. Either way I keep my Blum boring machine set at 22mm for most applications. 22mm is the center of the bore which puts the bore 4.5mm from the edge. The hinges have plenty of adjustment to go either way from there.
    Just did a couple of doors on a cabinet this week and I would agree with Brandon. If in doubt do a test with two pieces of scrap!

You could also ask the door supplier for a list of the hinge hardware that they are supporting with the 3mm from the edge boring they offer...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the help guys! This makes a lot of sense