Thread: Wooden skiff; How to seal leak around a centerboard?

Wooden skiff; How to seal leak around a centerboard?

About 20 years ago, my stepfather built a 14' wooden skiff based on a design by Arch Davis. The boat is okume plywood over mahogany and poplar frame. I inherited the boat a few years ago and have used it sparingly. It is still in decent shape but it is due for a little maintenance. A perennial problem was a slow leak from around the seams of the centerboard. I am not sure that I will be able to get any finish in the "slot" on the underside of the boat so my only option may be to seal it from the inside.

The boat could also a coat or three of finish on the bottom of the boat and on some of the interior wood. I don't have much experience finishing and am wondering whether I should use spar varnish or something more robust. My only experience with epoxy is as an adhesive, not as a finish. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Can you post some photos of where you think the leak is? If you just seal the joint from inside the boat then water will still be invading the wood from beneath the boat and the wood will rot.

Blog Entries
    More info on how the boat is constructed and finished would help (regarding suggesting a remedy). Gluvit is frowned upon by some traditionalists. It really works. Gluvit could be applied to the inside of the centerboard trunk with a long handle finger roller. A Whizz roller should fit inside the trunk.
    https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct-detail/2091

Screen Shot 2024-05-13 at 10.29.56 AM.png IMG_2014.jpg IMG_2016.jpg

http://mobile.archdavisdesigns.com/d...nobscot14.html
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; Yesterday at 12:12 PM. Reason: A Whizz roller should fit inside the trunk
    Best Regards, Maurice