Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy in historic pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Also Russell's Teapot.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I enjoy these posts. Two methods of work that are very different. Each trying to match the other. The hand tool worker takes a saw and a chisel and cuts a dovetail. The machine worker takes a machine and tries to match what the hand tool worker does. Just how many types of dovetail set ups have been invented and there is always a new and better one. Now the hand tool worker tries to match the sharp edges and exact spacing of machine work. How many dovetail markers and guides have been produced. Same things go for all types of woodworking. Super Surfacers trying to match a hand planed surface and various types of irons for hand planes to produce machine work. All very strange to me, one trying to replicate the other. Two very different methods, both good, trying to look like each other.

Mike, they appear hand cut. Perhaps the piece is older. After another look, they are better than I remember. Both the front and back of the drawers are dovetailed.

5DA42764-E2F9-44DB-B54B-82B9EBBF02D5.jpg C0A596F9-E3B2-4F10-9DBE-6D35AF91BDA3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Let's break that down, shall we?

How many forges were running, back in Chippendale's heyday? You're inferring that those makers commanded similar pricing to today's makers.

Do tell.

Hitchens' razor applies
    How many forges were running in the 18th century? If you have done historical research you will know that this is not something that is easy to ascertain. If you want to make a point about the number of forges, the burden of proof is yours; I did not talk about forges.

If you are interested in wages and the cost of chisels, works by Charlie Hummel and Jane Rees are a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    How many forges were running in the 18th century? If you have done historical research you will know that this is not something that is easy to ascertain. If you want to make a point about the number of forges, the burden of proof is yours; I did not talk about forges.
    See: Burden of Proof fallacy

You staked *your* claim on a metric that can't be tested.

You inferred that the few remaining smiths, today, charge similar rates to toolmakers of Chippendale's day.

It's a convenience to omit details which counter your assertion.

Yeah....I can see where all of the above responses are REALLY helping the original question....Maybe two should conduct a private message duel?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Mike, they appear hand cut. Perhaps the piece is older. After another look, they are better than I remember. Both the front and back of the drawers are dovetailed.

5DA42764-E2F9-44DB-B54B-82B9EBBF02D5.jpg C0A596F9-E3B2-4F10-9DBE-6D35AF91BDA3.jpg
    Definitely looks hand cut.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Yeah....I can see where all of the above responses are REALLY helping the original question....Maybe two should conduct a private message duel?
    Thanks for that steven. Really made me laugh out load. Good one 👍

Phil, show us the drawer front. And the brasses or knobs.

Mel, I’m away until Sunday. Will post a pic when I get back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    My favorite historic pieces are from around the turn of the century, so most of the joinery was machine made. I did see a few hand made pieces in a museum in Newport, RI a couple hears ago. They were masterworks. I asked a docent to open a drawer for me so I could see the dovetails. The spacing and sizing was not perfectly uniform, but the fit between pins and tails was very precise. In my mind this spoke to a skilled craftsman freehanding the position and size of tails and transferring them to the pin board very accurately.
    If a craftsman was being paid by pieces made, it is likely those who could make dovetailed drawers without having to mark them first could turn out an extra drawer or two each day.

Starting in about 1870 the Knapp joint or pin & cove joint was used in factory made furniture until the late 1890s. This is when practical machine made dovetails started to take prominence in factory made furniture. There may have been some machine made dovetails before 1870, but not common due to many factors.

https://www.harpgallery.com/library/dovetails.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ever wonder what happened to all the furniture made by all the Village Joiners/Carpenters back then? Maybe the only ones left for us to view and critique today, were done to a higher standard ( and price, IF they could pry the coin from the client...) and the cheap stuff just didn't last more than one household? Rather doubt a Newport Kneehole desk would have been carried in the back of a wagon going to the Northwest Territories.....or even on a Keel Boat down to the Ohio Territory .

So, maybe what we are able to look at today, was made to a higher standard then what the average Joe log cabin builder could afford.....as he had more important issues to deal with....like keeping the hair ON his head. Back when a Joiner built houses during the summer, and items for inside that house during the winter.....with his house being the last in line, usually....

Mel, here’s a picture of the piece and a close up of the drawer pulls. It’s been in need of some minor restoration, but it’s just one of those projects I keep putting off. Over the years, it’s been used for all sorts of things, including an aquarium stand. I picked it up from an antique store decades ago for about $50 bucks if I recall correctly.

CFA7A216-7235-4BE8-B2D3-B6CBC6041C00.jpg 9787C629-D6E0-4861-9D90-299757FCF82E.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 06-14-2020 at 5:14 PM.

Phil, I think that looks like a Beidermier piece 1830-1840.

Thanks Mel. Years ago, prior to the internet, a college professor and I tried to ID it from a stack of books he had. Never could nail it down. Sort of lost hope in figuring it out. You’ve piqued my interest again. Definitely some design similarities to your suggestion. Wish I could find a closer match. In all my searching, I can’t find a single identifying mark on the piece. May post it on an antique forum and see what comes up. Appreciate your interest and input!