Thread: Wixey Drill Press Laser

Wixey Drill Press Laser

Anyone have one? What are your thoughts and opinion of it? Would you replace it if it became non operational.

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George, I would have liked the lines to be thinner, but otherwise it works very well, and I have come to appreciate it. It makes sets up easier ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for your response and pictures Derek.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George,

I have two made by Wixey, and a third that came on my Delta floor standing drill press. The Delta housing is all plastic and was way out of calibration when I tried to use it, so I didn't for several years, until I decided to figure out why it didn't work correctly. It turned out that the laser line generators did not project a line that was truly vertical, so after I adjusted this, they worked well. The plastic housing then became the problem, because it would change shape slightly over time, which would change the laser line positions.

The Wixey laser units are much better made, with a steel base that easily clamps to the drill press post using the supplied radiator type band clamp. The laser line generators were calibrated quite well for producing the vertical lines, but I was able to improve this adjustment, by installing a 1/2" steel rod with a point on the bottom and painted white in the drill chuck. Then I used a mirror sitting on the table and leaning against the post so that I could see the line projected on the back side of the white rod. I turned each laser within it's housing until the projected line was perfectly vertical on the back side of the white post. Then I adjusted them to cross at the desired point by clamping a piece of scrap wood to the table and lowering the rod to press a pointed dent in the scrap wood. Then moved each laser so that hteir crossing point was exactly on this dent in the scrap wood. Turning the lasers is difficult by hand, but using a pair of long handled pliers to lightly grip the laser knobs let me move them very precisely.

I would love to have lasers that produced a thinner line, but the Wixey lasers are far better than the ones in the Delta unit. Both of my Wixey units are on Delta bench top drill presses that I use for my finer higher precision work, and both make it much easier to place accurately positioned holes quickly. Once adjusted for vertical, the cross point will remain in the same position as you raise and lower the table. If either is slightly off of vertical, the cross point will change as you raise and lower the table, and the drilled hole will not be at the laser crossing point. Adjusting both to project a perfectly vertical line on the back of the white rod makes the crossing point remain in line with the drill bit, no matter what height the table is. The Wixey units are definitely worth the investment. I just wish they were powered from the wall outlet and not batteries, because I am forever leaving them on. I'm now trying to remember to look back into my dark shop as I turn off the lights, to see if any lasers are still on, since I have lasers on many of my machines, but these Wixey units are the only ones running on batteries, so less of a problem with the others.

Charley

I have one and agree with Derek said. I would replace it if it ever died.

Bob

Taken today. The laser makes lining up an easier task ...

Regards from Perth

Derek