Thread: Powermatic PM1500 Bandsaw

Powermatic PM1500 Bandsaw

I am looking to get a Powermatic PM1500 15" bandsaw and was hoping to get some feedback from woodworkers who have used this model (good or bad experience). I have a single car garage woodshop and previously I had a Laguna 14bx and sold it a year ago based on less than stellar performance.

PM 1500.png

What were the performance issues form the 14bx you're hoping to eliminate with the powermatic ?

Blog Entries
    As Dave asked, specifics could be important to getting a good response. You are not really changing "classes" of bandsaw by much so the disappointments could be machine tier specific.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a PM1500 and have no complaints about it. It replaced one of the Powermatic cast iron 14" bandsaws. I cut a lot of bowl blanks from tree log sections and wanted a stronger bandsaw with more cutting capacity under the guides. I really wanted a 20" bandsaw but the space requirement and cost caused me to look at the 1500 instead. Back when I was shopping for a bigger bandsaw I read way too many customer service complaints about Laguna and crossed them off my list. I also looked at a couple used 20" bandsaws but they were well used and I crossed them off my list. Other than the 1500 is a little smaller than I wanted I have no complaints.

I have no experience with the Laguna. Have had a PM 1500 for several years and the only downside to it ( in my opinion ) is I wish the table was larger. IMO a great machine

My experience was the Laguna bandsaw was under-powered when under load, where the PM 1500 has a larger 3HP motor. Also the quality control was not consistent on the Laguna, where on prior Powermatic machines I have owned they have always had excellent fit and finish.

I am hoping that any users of the PM-1500 can share their experience in using this machine overall with its performance and reliability.

Thanks!