Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An experience with blue tooth ear phones

An experience with blue tooth ear phones

During some table saw tasks, I thought I’d turned the machine off and as I was clearing some scrap off cuts, let just say my hand came so close the blade I could feel the wind.

So yes I made a mistake but the ear phones could had made it a catastrophe.

Just thought I’d tell you all this as a warning too much ear protection can be a bad thing!!

Worked with a guy years ago wearing headphones back then. Was cutting hundreds of small shims on a contractor saw in his garage on a weekend. Did not hear the saw running and put his hand on the saw table as he leaned back drinking a can of soda. Lost all of two fingers and half of the other two.

Blog Entries
    Great safety reminder. Sounds like we need some review of basic safety habits. You never leave the operator position of a machine unless that machine has been shut down. I'm sure we all have done this a time or two. Folks who leave their DC running for hours at a time have a noise field situation and must be more rigid than others in the steps performed to approach, use and leave a machine. It is too easy to get jaded in our comfy little home shops.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Best to develop a habit of looking at any cutter before venturing near. There are just to many noises in a shop. I just assume that every blade is always spinning. Relaxing on a cabinet saw just seems foolishly cavalier to me.

You mention your head phones are blue tooth. Did you have music on at the time? That's something I will not do in a shop. I know some listen to music in their headphones while working with power tools but I consider it a distraction. I want to hear my tools with my ear muffs on
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 06-13-2020 at 9:17 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Double edged sword here, unfortunately...we need hearing protection while using many of our power tools because of the noise levels they produce while the noise they make is also valuable feedback to us for what's going on. Those that have commented about developing good habits relative to how we move around our whirling blades, etc., are spot-on in this respect.

I do listen to music in the shop, but it's from a room level source. When I put on hearing protection, the music is muted pretty hard.

Relative to sound/noise reduction in the shop, I've added another dimension to this in that I have to turn the volume to "0" on my hearing aids before donning my over-the-ear muffs because they are "smart" and automagically increase the volume otherwise. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blue tooth red fingers

I bought a blue tooth set up for my iPhone this winter. I listen to music in my shop but from an iPhone dock. I have brought the headphones to the shop but will only use them when I'm NOT working on machinery. Sanding, bench work, cleaning up and organising sure. We've all forgotten to respect the coasting down blade, table saw and band saw!

From the business side, this is why, as crappy as it is, there are no headphones/music/or otherwise, allowed in the shop and as even crappier as it may sound other than on very rare occasions there is no music either. Its a hotly debated subject in the commercial world as to whether a more pleasant work environment allowing people to listen to whatever they want on their headphones especially for people doing mundane/repetitive tasks is wise or if no distractions and focus on your work is best.

I have yet to have anyone be able to be sustantially productive, effective, thoughtful, safe, in the shop when they are dead focused on the task at hand much less distracted by a cool tune on the radio or wanting to hear the last bit of an interview or something on talk radio. Myself included.

Add in that now headphones/earbuds for many will include a notification for a text or DM from social media, a phone call from whomever, email, and so on. All of which are distractions, and for business, a time sucking distraction. Not only from a safety standpoint but when your in the shop watching (business) and you start adding up the seconds, that turn into minutes, that add up to hours, per week, that are lost to pulling out the phone for this and that... no dice. The latest is when you start cracking down on checking phones in the shop you notice serious increases in bathroom trips and the time spent in the bathroom (because there was no need its a place to go text).

Safety and productivity I'd imagine will eventually lead to more and more places having a no phones/headphones in the shop period. Leave them in your locker and deal with them on your break/lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Safety and productivity I'd imagine will eventually lead to more and more places having a no phones/headphones in the shop period. Leave them in your locker and deal with them on your break/lunch.
    I agree with this approach as I have always felt that these phones we carry in our pockets are a problem in the workplace. Have watched employees stop talking to their supervisor while they respond to something on their phone. However, banning them in a workplace will most likely earn that shop a one way ticket to the next meeting at the worst place to work in America convention. Would be a tough sell in a good economy.

How about something like this as a warning signal?

https://www.crmagnetics.com/remote/c...BoCb2AQAvD_BwE

I don't like any audio in the shop or on a job site if I have help. The guy that helps with my installs is a husky dude (knickname "Bear") when we're doing an install he shuts down the jobsite boom box and no one objects.

When I'm working alone (75% of the time) I listen to audio books from the library. I have for over 30 years. Music doesn't work but the books keep me focused somehow and I can go way longer between breaks. I think, if I have a helper, thinking about what they should do next serves the same purpose.

I have found that formula detective stories and adventure stories are predictable enough to not cause too much distraction. If a story is too compelling I save it for later.

I listen to music or audiobooks or radio on my earmuffs most of the time when I'm working alone, though not when I'm in a space with other people(which happens very rarely). I don't like to let a machine run when I'm not standing in front of it and using it, I figure that with my band saws I am wearing out the blade, and I am wasting electricity with any tool that is unnecessarily still running. My worry has been tools that are still spinning down, especially router bits and bandsaw blades, so I try to be extra conscious of them. Many days I am wearing earmuffs for 8 or 10 hours, so I value being able to listen to audiobooks especially. I get most of mine from Librivox, they are free and in the public domain, and I have been able to catch up on all the older classic books that I had read years ago and later forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    From the business side, this is why, as crappy as it is, there are no headphones/music/or otherwise, allowed in the shop and as even crappier as it may sound other than on very rare occasions there is no music either. Its a hotly debated subject in the commercial world as to whether a more pleasant work environment allowing people to listen to whatever they want on their headphones especially for people doing mundane/repetitive tasks is wise or if no distractions and focus on your work is best.

I have yet to have anyone be able to be sustantially productive, effective, thoughtful, safe, in the shop when they are dead focused on the task at hand much less distracted by a cool tune on the radio or wanting to hear the last bit of an interview or something on talk radio. Myself included.

Add in that now headphones/earbuds for many will include a notification for a text or DM from social media, a phone call from whomever, email, and so on. All of which are distractions, and for business, a time sucking distraction. Not only from a safety standpoint but when your in the shop watching (business) and you start adding up the seconds, that turn into minutes, that add up to hours, per week, that are lost to pulling out the phone for this and that... no dice. The latest is when you start cracking down on checking phones in the shop you notice serious increases in bathroom trips and the time spent in the bathroom (because there was no need its a place to go text).

I've never worked in a shop that didn't allow music or talk radio. I've never seen it be a problem. That other stuff is a work ethic thing and phones aren't the problem, the employees are.

I have a really simple solution to the cell phone problem in my shop - they don't work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Double edged sword here, unfortunately...we need hearing protection while using many of our power tools because of the noise levels they produce while the noise they make is also valuable feedback to us for what's going on. Those that have commented about developing good habits relative to how we move around our whirling blades, etc., are spot-on in this respect.

I do listen to music in my headphones in the shop, but it's from a room level source. When I put on hearing protection, the music is muted pretty hard.

Relative to sound/noise reduction in the shop, I've added another dimension to this in that I have to turn the volume to "0" on my hearing aids before donning my over-the-ear muffs because they are "smart" and automagically increase the volume otherwise. LOL
    Jim:

I use the exact same approach, including with the hearing aids. My smart ones also would increase the volume when wearing headphones, which defeats the purpose.

Hearing protection really is mandatory in a workshop with loud tools. If not used, your hearing will eventually be damaged. And those of us who wear hearing aids know how bad that is in life.

I also don't play music in my headphones in my shop, and don't have a TV. I don't want the distraction, and want to hear the tools when I am using them. But I play music and podcasts in the workshop, but not so loud that I can't hear the tool

Getting into the habit of looking at the blade until it stops is a tremendously useful habit to prevent accidents.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.