Thread: Laser tools: Godsend or gimmick?

Laser tools: Godsend or gimmick?

How many of you use laser power tools?

Circular Saws, Compound Miter Saws, Drill press, Jig saws, drills, laser levels (ok, so not a power tool) etc.

Do they really make life easier or are they just another way to sucker the tool enthusiast?

Well, I've done quite a bit of work with my "laser scrollsaw" but I don't think that's what you meant.

That said, the one tool I really wish had some kind of laser aiming aid is the drill press: it would make getting a workpiece clamped to the table in the right place a whole lot easier.

Mike,
    Circular saw: What would be the advantage over using the notch on the base plate for carpentry? Glue line rips require guided saw systems.

Compound miter saw: If your eyes cannot see your line when you bring the blade to it, how is a laser going to help?

Drill press: Use a centering drill as Dev has suggested. You need these for accurate starts anyway.

Jig saw: Please give me a break here manufacturers, the jig saw cuts where the blade enters the wood. This is where we must be looking.

Drills: This is where I see some possible use for a laser as it could indicate square to the surface being drilled.

Levels: David White and some others are good. Think hard before buying one of these at the entrance to the tool aisle at the BORG, tho some may do what you need them to.

Frank

Talking Laser Tool

Before I bought a laser guide, I read some threads on other forums that were about equally divided. They were discussing compound sliding miter saws.

My laser is for a WoodRat. That is a controlled routing machine similar to the Multi-Router. It makes Tenons, Mortises, Dovetails, Box Joints, Lap Joints and quite a few others. They offer the laser guide primarily for Dowel drilling. The laser puts out a double cross-hair, so you can pinpoint the straight bit to plunge a hole exactly equal to the dowel. And then match that on the opposing board.

Now that you mention it, I can easily attach the velcro mounting strip to my drill press.

So. the conclusion to the question about laser usefulness is:

SCMS saws --- maybe.
    Boring machines --- yes.

Gary Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    Mike,
    Jig saw: Please give me a break here manufacturers, the jig saw cuts where the blade enters the wood. This is where we must be looking.

Frank
    Actauly LOML got me a Lazer Jig saw and when I am doing long pieces I no only look at where the blade is but also where it will be. The Lazer on mine line will shoot a line at least 8 feet long and provides a guide so I can keep the blades square with the line and the cut.

Well Don,
    I guess I live and learn. Your technique must be very different from mine, and I thank you for telling me about it. I am glad it works well for you.
    Frank

Circular saw -- never had problem using a left hand saw so I could see the blade, line up the notch. For sheet goods I use an Ez-Smart -- no need for a laser. EZ-Smart also works real well for ripping hardwood boards too.

SCMS - didn't think it was anything but a gimmick, the I got one (Dewalt) and I wouldn't go back for anything. Great for cutting molding, cut-off, etc.. never worry about where the blade is (as long a my fingers are not around it that is), just line up the laser and cut. Not a big deal if you only do onesy's but for a bunch of work, it really does make a difference. Could I do w/o it? Yes, but I won't unless I have too.

Laser level -- slick, handy, but required no. I use a good old 4' level or chalkline w/o problems. I do have one and use it but I don't panic if I don't have it handy. Maybe if I was setting wall tile or some such. They are nice for suspended ceilings but I've only done a couple, not something I do every day.

Others I don't have .. but think it might be ok for a jig saw -- then again I hate jig saws .. I only use them if I have too. Can't see any need for a drill or dp either.

My 0.02$ worth.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

laser uses

The finished case

the top with rope installed.

The setup

showing me where to cut to make the fit up and the plumb line one it is stood up.

This was the easiest way to get the rope straight and plumb . I feel there is a use for a laser in the shop and in the field; just not on tools per se

Joe
    If sawdust were gold I'd be rich