Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chisels - sharp side edge

For paring in particular, slightly blunt the sharp edges, but not the first 1/2" or so.

This problem also exists on chisels with very slight sq edges. Preparing the back tends to leave these sharp enough to cut you, so the previous technique is helpful.

I can see having sharp edges for a special reason, such as Derek’s narrow dovetails. I don’t usually sharpen edges. I actually give them a stroke on a fine stone. Don’t see the sense in having another place to get cut in the normal coarse of work. Think rabbet plane here, both hands at the tote or blood will be shed. Now add regular bench chisels and paring chisels to that mix. Another sharp thing to concern yourself with and distract you from the task at hand.

Blog Entries
    Now add regular bench chisels and paring chisels to that mix. Another sharp thing to concern yourself with and distract you from the task at hand.
    This made me chuckle a little. My bench is often covered with chisels and planes under a layer of shavings. If only my luck at rummaging around all of these sharp things without getting cut would also work when buying lottery tickets.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The only chisels I have sharp sides on are a couple of LV Batoning chisels I bought a few years ago. They work very well for what I bought them for. Splitting off small tenon cheeks, should I be saying that out loud? Also for splitting of dowels. I use them like a miniature froe. I can clean up the cheeks with the chisel end, using great care.

I seem to remember Frank Klausz telling someone who complained about the sharp sides, "just don't put your hands there" or something to that effect. I know I got a chuckle out of it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    I seem to remember Frank Klausz telling someone who complained about the sharp sides, "just don't put your hands there" or something to that effect. I know I got a chuckle out of it at the time.

When you figure out how to pare without touching the chisel, let me know.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Usually, the left thumb goes on top, with one or two fingertips right in the center of the back. Right hand on the handle provides all the force, and controls the direction the chisel goes. Sometimes..the weight of my chin on the end of the handle, to help push the chisel along. None of the left hand's Guide fingers need to be near the edge.

I never said the edge. Most cuts are from more than 2 inches back, from the sides of the lands. Seems no one actually reads. But, as usual, Derek and David actually provided answers, not condemnation