Thread: How do I remove this planer head?

How do I remove this planer head?

I'm stripping down an old Powermatic 100 planer and I now need to remove the cutter head, but I don't know what the steps are.

Here's a photo of the planer right now

IMG_3566.jpg

thanks, Mark

Take the knives out (long time before this point) and drive it out one side. Probably towards the near side of the picture.

Thanks Darcy.

Note that taking it out will probably ruin one or both bearings, if that is a concern.
    Bill D

Looks like that pulley might come off too - is that a set screw I see?

Guessing he’s replacing bearings or installing a helical head, so bearing damage shouldn’t matter.

Make sure you are pulling against the casting, not pulling the bearing along with the casting. or you will break the casting. Remove any set screws and soak it with penetrating oil for several days before applying too much force.
    Bil lD

Matt, yes I plan on installing a helical head.

Bill, I saw that thread on the PM100 rebuild but they don’t show the process, just the casting with the head removed.
    What do you mean by “ Make sure you are pulling against the casting, not pulling the bearing along with the casting”?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Matt, yes I plan on installing a helical head.

Bill, I saw that thread on the PM100 rebuild but they don’t show the process, just the casting with the head removed.
    What do you mean by “ Make sure you are pulling against the casting, not pulling the bearing along with the casting”?
    Do not pound the bearing out and hope the casting does not break off from the tension. Support the casting so it is in compression not tension. Do not apply force that makes the casting act as a lever. You may want to put some blocking between the two inside ends of the bearing bores so you are not pulling the far one. It is a little tricky when pulling two bearings at the same time like you have to do.
    I would think the bearing away from the drive pulley would be a little loose so it can float as the spindle warms up. Not really loose just not a very tight a fit. Of course now they are both gunked up with sawdust, pitch and oil so they will be harder to pull then to install into nice clean bores.
    Just remember that cast iron is strong in compression and weak in tension. The same as wood.
    I like to save the old bearings to press in the new ones. I grind a little off the od first then I throw it into the campfire to a nice red heat. Then I can drill the ID a fraction bigger
    Bill D

Good advice Bill.

A machinist friend happened by and we got the head off.
    Thanks for your insights.
    Mark