Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Variable Speed Drill Press Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    What are you referring to with "linear actuator" is that a specific product if so made by the same company? Thanks

A linear actuator is just a fancy name for an electric screw jack. A quality one will use a ballscrew and have adjustable limit switches. Often 12 or 24 volt DC or 120 AC

Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Was wondering if I could shift the discussion little regarding the Voyager. Those of you who have one... do you use it strictly for woodworking related tasks or do you do any machining with it like end mill work. I'm excluding the standard drill a hole in metal function. If that is a stupid question... sorry I am a woodworker not a machinest. I know drill presses arn't designed to have a lot of side pressure but I have never done any end milling so I am not that familiar with the requirements. If inappropriate I can start another thread.
    Nova Technitool makes (made?) the Vulcan, which was designed for metalworking, but I'm not sure whether even it was designed for milling.

When the chuck is held in the spindle only by friction of a taper, that is wholly insufficient for the sideways and downward pull of a milling bit engaging metal. The chuck will come out, likely damaging itself, the bit and the work piece. Milling machines typically use a drawbar to positively hold the tooling (or chuck) in the socket.

The drill press spindle bearings, and the quill, are not designed to take the massive lateral forces of metal milling either. They will wear quickly, which will drastically increase the spindle play and runout. Milling machines have much beefier bearings designed to withstand much higher thrust (in both directions) and lateral forces present in milling.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Sorry I don't know what a drawbar is...

Ok so I guess that helps answer my last post wondering about the draw bar. And confirms my concerns about using for milling. Thanks guys

For the cost of a Voyager drill press you can buy an excellent new drill press plus a very good used milling machine.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."