Thread: Greetings and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Greetings and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Hi All,

I used to own an Architectural wood and metal shop in the NYC area in the 80's we closed our doors in the early 90's when the bills kept on getting higher than the profits.

I am now in the midst of putting a small shop together in my very small basement currently purely for my own enjoyment, and with that in mind I am taking the Festool and Incra route to maintain the smallest possible tool footprints but still being able to tackle most projects. DC has become a major part of this project and fortunaterly before I spent too much money on the wrong solution I was given a link on the Festool list to Bill Pentz's excellent site http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm this is the direction I will be taking and I am very seriously looking at Ed's Clear-Vue cyclone package.

The project has become a fairly substantial undertaking and I expect it will be about a month before I cut my first piece of wood, I have also been out of the loop for quite a while and I look forward to not only pumping everybody for as much information as I can find but also to hopefully become a useful contributing member of the list.

Warm Regards,

Chris

Hey Chris. Welcome! You'll enjoy it here.

- Keith

Welcome to the Creek Chris! Wade right in the water's fine! Warning....we have a group of photocops.....and a gloat isn't official without pics! Again.....Welcome!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

chris,welcome! me thinks you`ve done well going with bills cyclone design, good luck getting up and running. tod

Welcome aboard Chris. We like pics.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Welcome aboard Chris. Lots of knowledge and good folks here.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Chris. Do you already have your shop planned and partly equipped? If so, we like to see layout and photos. If not, we like to "help" with the planning.

Welcome to the "Creek" Chris. You're gonna' like it here. Lot's of good folks and better advice. You say you just started and things will be up and running in a month. That may be record time around here. I've going on 14 months, and I'm not looking to declare it a shop until spring.

Again, welcome and did you notice we like pictures?

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Welcome! and Happy Holidays to you as well!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Chris. Do you already have your shop planned and partly equipped? If so, we like to see layout and photos. If not, we like to "help" with the planning.
    Hi Frank,

And thanks to everybody for the warm welcome Frank my space is very small we are talking about a 12'x12'x7' (rounding off to the generous side) not including soffits for our AC ducting etc. I am in the process of insulating and sheetrocking the ceiling and soffits, and trying to clear enough space to frame a wall between the "shop" and our laundry area.

I will be using a Unisaw fitted with the 32" Incra Fence and two router tables, a stand alone router table a Festool MFT 1080 (which I expect I will enlarge), an old Delta Scroll saw, a Delta Drill Press with an Incra table and fence,all going well I intend to replace most of my hand power tools slowly with Festool products. My Clear Vue Cyclonewill be put in a shed on the side of the house with a filtered air return. There will also be a small rolling cabinet with a blade and chisel sharpening setup, and some buffing and grinding stations. That's the basic game plan. Once I frame out the walls I will post some pics. At this point everything remains very flexible and I welcome all the help and advice that anybody cares to offer. (This reminds me of my first shop in Greenpoint which also had 7' ceilings I said then no problem I won't build any tall cabinets-immediately my first 4 jobs were huge entertainment centers, but we learn to improvise)

Cheers,
    Chris