Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1" or 1 1/4" resaw blade?

First machine I ever purchased was a Laguna 14/12. Guy at woodcraft sold me a 3/4 resaw king. Went home and got to it with some 8/4 hard maple. Made a giant mess and destroyed a expensive blade. Did some internet Sherlocking around and found out on that saw 1/2 is about the most it can tension and what people got the best results with.

I got a 1/2 blade. It was better and “decent” on medium to soft woods but still not up to my expectations of a saw I would use mostly to resaw with. I made clear this would be my use.

Anyway I sold the saw and got a Minimax S500P and put a Lenox Woodmaster CT 1.3

That saw does everything and anything. It resaws as I was led to believe the Laguna would.

Shame on me looking back but not really, I had no idea what I really needed to resaw the timber I wanted to. But I sure told the woodcraft guy what I was up to. My first mistake was thinking I could take some guy at woodcrafts advice. Weird as I would still be convinced that guy knew what he was talking about the way he talked..

I'll chime in with everyone and say that a 1-1/4" isn't necessary, and I don't believe that your saw can tension it to any reasonable level.

I had a 1" Resaw King on my Laguna 14 SUV. Yes I did decent resawing with it, but also no question that it was too large a blade and didn't believe Laguna's recommendations in retrospect.

Now with a large Felder FB710 (18", 250kg/550 lbs) it can tension a 1-1/4" blade, but I chose a 1" blade (which I measure and can easily tension to 25kpsi) and am more than happy with that choice. Like John, I use a tension meter to tension my blades (I actually have several, don't ask...)
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    I'm running a 1" woodmaster Ct on a 600lb 21" saw. I dont think I could tension a 1.25" carbide blade adequately without significant deflection.

The 1" works great for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

NO WAY
    an 18bx is stout enough to properly tension a 1 1/4" carbide blade. NONE. In addition, the xtra 1/4" isn't likely to give you better results you can consistently see even if your saw could tension one that size. Which it can't. If Laguna tells you it can, they are misleading you.

But, you seem to have your heart set on a 1 1/4" blade so .......... Lot of guys here with tons of experience have told you you don't need 1 1/4" blade, but it's your saw and your money and time.
    Dave, I don't have my heart set on anything yet. That's why I am asking for opinions. And part of evaluating offered opinions is trying to determine what is based on experience and what is based on prejudice.

Thanks for your input.
    Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Put in my order today for the 18bx, mobile kit and a 1" Resaw King. Was told the saw would be here in a week. The blade is probably a couple of weeks out. While the Laguna sale ended yesterday Laguna allowed the store to continue the sale for another 4 days, which helped.

Thanks for all your input. It definitely helped.

Now I need to clean up my Rikon and post it for sale.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski